Author Topic: Agnes Diver/McGowan  (Read 335 times)

Offline Summer18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Diver/McGowan
« on: Tuesday 26 October 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
Could some kind Roots Chat colleague provide me with any assistance in the following search?

My Grandmother namely Agnes McGowan was born Inishowen Donegal on 29th Dec 1899.
She married Charles Diver in the Inishowen registration district on 24th July 1917.
 Charles was 28, Agnes was 18.

We believe that after the birth of three children at least, the first child died after birth, that Agnes left both her husband Charles and the family home around 1930 and may have worked as a servant around the Antrim coast area perhaps Portrush?

Other than a newspaper report from Derry Journal of 1929 in relation to smuggling of goods we can't find any further information on her.

Any further info on Agnes could be under her married name Diver or maiden name McGowan.

Thanks in advance of any leads in our search.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Diver/McGowan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 21 14:35 BST (UK) »
Did you perhaps check the death cert of husband Charles Diver if he didn't remarry or the marriage certs of her children Margaret, Patrick & Charles? It just may provide a clue as to if she was alive when these different events occurred. Did her husband remarry? What is the article in the Derry Journal-may she have been put into jail? I came across 2 deaths for Agnes McGowan in England and one for Agnes Diver.

Deaths:
Alice McGowan  age 53.died March qtr 1954  Manchester, England

Alice McGowan  age 56  died Dec qtr 1957.Birkenhead,England

Agnes Diver  age 68.died qtr June 1964
Cambridge,England

I didn't come across any in Scotland.