Author Topic: Sophia Hood nee' Billingham  (Read 1191 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sophia Hood nee' Billingham
« on: Tuesday 26 October 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at some Ancestry "hints" and this one stood out for me.

Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/200203531/sophia-hood : accessed 26 October 2021), memorial page for Sophia Hood (6 Jun 1777–5 Feb 1821), Find a Grave Memorial ID 200203531, citing St. Leonard's Churchyard, Bilston, Metropolitan Borough of Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England ; Maintained by Paul Barnett (contributor 48481980) .

Does this mean there is a headstone/memorial and can I order from the a photograph.

Thanks

John

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Hood nee' Billingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
It quotes an inscription so I suggest clicking on the request photo button and see what you have to do. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
Milliepede, I have followed various routes with Find a Grave, ie signed on as a member and sent a request re what is actually to be found in St Leonard's, Bilston re Sophia Hood. I know this is my Sophia and if this is indeed an actual inscription it has opened up for me a new line of ancestors.  have just found a Sophia Billingham born 6.6.1777 in Rothersthorpe, Northamptonshire, bap 26.07.1789 the daughter of Am(Anc transcription) think it should be Ann.

I am always very careful to evidence all family with documents and not speculate but on this occasion if the "inscription"is correct I do believe to have gone back another generation.

Any views from others is always very very welcome

Thanks

John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
Under inscription it just says "HOOD Sophia 40years 5 Feb 1821 Capon Field,Sedgley W.Leigh"

Sophia Billingham born 6.6.1777 in Rothersthorpe, Northamptonshire, bap 26.07.1789 the daughter of Am(Anc transcription) think it should be Ann.

Possibly she is the lady who married in 1807
13 Oct 1807, Northampton St Sepulchre
Thomas Simperingham
+
Sophia Billingham of the parish of All Saints
By licence
Both signed

1851 census
Northampton St. Giles
piece 1739 folio 84 page 10
Alms House
Sophia Simperingham Widow 75 born Northampton Rothersthorp
(Inmate of the Hospital)

Burial at St Sepulchre, 2 April 1856
Sophia Simperingham
abode Alms House St Giles Street
age 80 years

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
jonw65, many thanks for your post. What I can' make out (is it me being slow) is that the Find a Grave record "appears to record" that there is an inscription detailing Sophia's pob and birth date. Do you think that they have linked the birth in 1777 to the death in 1820 e 1+ 1 = 3.

John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi John
It looks to me as if somebody has done that. To be honest, I don't really know how find a grave works.
You are right to want to see that inscription for yourself. Whilst it would be great to have a place of birth on a gravestone, I'm not sure how common it is?
Jon

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
FindAGrave is a bit of a free-for-all. Users can create new memorial records, with very basic information, and in doing so that user becomes the manager of the memorial. There's no constraint on users, so they can create memorials based on actual grave photos, burial registers or any other records.

Other users are then free to submit "suggested edits" to the manager, and the FindAGrave functionality allows the manager to review suggested edits and accept or reject them.

So just viewing a memorial record it isn't really clear who's responsible for what data on a memorial record.

The user who created the Sophia Hood memorial has created a very large number of memorials (400K+) so it's less likely they've done research on Sophia, and added the birth date and place themselves. My guess is that another user has submitted this data so there's no real way of knowing what evidence there is to support it.

FindAGrave users do have a history of suggested edits, both ones they've sent and received, so you could try contacting the memorial manager (the creator) to see if they have a record of who suggested the birth details and if they supplied any evidence.

As an aside, that "inscription" text doesn't really read like an inscription to me, what with the surname preceding the first name and being in upper case. It looks like the text was cut-n-pasted from some other record, which could be a transcript of the inscription but personally I think it's more likely from a burial record transcript.

Burial (my transcript from the register):
name: Sophia Hood
buried: 05 Feb 1824; St Leonard, Bilston
abode: Capon Field, Sedgley

Looking at one of the other memorials that does have photos, it too has an "inscription" text of the same format, and doesn't include all the information clearly visible in the photos.

Sarah Howes (unknown-1823)
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/200203759/sarah-howes

Burial (my transcript from the register):
name: Sarah Howes
buried: 21 Nov 1823; St Leonard, Bilston
abode: Bilston

So this a very winded way of saying I think it's questionable whether there's actually an MI for Sophia, and if there is, whether it contains any more info.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
cuffie81, I was very quickly coming to a similar conclusion myself. Thanks for your views and comments.

John