Author Topic: Burn of Marudy  (Read 685 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burn of Marudy
« on: Tuesday 26 October 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Is there a cemetery at this location and, if so, are there records or photos somewhere?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burn of Marudy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
Have to confess that I have never heard of anywhere called Marudy in Scotland.

Can you say anything more about it? Where did you find the reference to it, for example? Is it from a transcription or from an original document? Who do you think might be buried there, and when?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
SctlandsPeople have under old parish registers, deaths and burials, parish of Kineff & Catterline, mortcloth rentals Jane Paul 8 Aug 1836 and James Edward 12 May 1837, both on same page.  Burial in Marudy or maybe what definitely appears as an “u” is actually an “n” to make it Marndy.  Can’t find the reference to Burn of Marudy at short notice.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think it makes its way onto Ordnance Survey maps (I might be wrong), but here it is in an 18th century one. It is in the southern part of the parish, not far above the parish name "KINEFF". It is given as "Burn of Mirudday".

https://maps.nls.uk/view/216442602

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

In the 1841 census (transcription), there are some Edward families in Enumeration District No 3, which includes among other places Barras, Largie, Bracks, Cotbank, Bridgestones, Glebe of Catterline, Locherie, Damside, Temple, Farside, Ferneyflat, Belfield, Purleknowe, Harvieston and Burn of Mendie. See https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - and search for Edward* in Kinneff and Catterline.

So Burn of Mendie is the farm or croft where they lived.

All of these places, except Burn of Mendie, are to be found (with some spelling variations) on the first edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey Map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.88626&lon=-2.24191&layers=5&b=1

However Burn of Mendie isn't in the census in 1851, and it isn't listed in the index to the Name Book of Catterline and Kinneff. So either it had vanished or it had had its name changed. There is an Edward family at East Largie, and a widowed James Edward at Burnside of Largie.

Either way, parishioners who died there would have been buried in the parish kirkyard at Catterline, which in the 1830s was the only graveyard in the parish of Catterline as opposed to the combined parish of Kinneff and Catterline.

I've looked at the MI book for Kincardineshire, but there's no mention of James Edward and Jane Paul. 

Edit: GR2's post crossed with mine. Good find!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 00:24 BST (UK) »
My GGG grandfather James Edward is shown as age 50 in the 1841 census of Kineff & Catterline, the handwritten address opposite his name could be Burn of Merudie.  He died in 1843, his assumed place of death in the mortcloth rentals is given as Marudy, same as his fathers.

I know that my GGGG grandfather James Edward was married to Jane Paul.  Can I assume that the Jane Paul who died in 1836 is her, i.e., were married women’s deaths recorded under their maiden names?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 09:09 BST (UK) »
Married women do appear under their maiden names in church (and other) Scottish records at this time.

In case you missed it, in my last post I have added a link to a map which shows the position of the Burn of Marudy.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help GR2
As a followup for those reading these posts I am attaching an image showing the birth record of my GG grandfather James Edward as found on ScotlandsPeople, which shows where I first found a reference to the Burn of Marudy