Author Topic: Craig / Doherty Emberton Victoria  (Read 1173 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Craig / Doherty Emberton Victoria
« Reply #63 on: Monday 01 November 21 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading the will of George STUART who died in 1908 in Rochester.
It is digitized at
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates
His wife and  three daughters are clearly assigned funding for their welfare.

It is interesting that George Thomas, though still living, is not mentioned at all and a bequest to  the son John seems to be contingent on his conduct and treatment of his mother and sisters.  The trustees are to make the judgement  ;D

George Thomas Died at Williamstown in 1965 aged 83. *3097

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 01 November 21 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Mary CRAIG's marriage was May 1889.
By this time James CALLAGHAN had been dead a couple of months and Ellen CALLAGHAN a year or so.

Mary's mother Johanna  had taken a new life in Rochester and her father, as we know was out of the picture.

So perhaps  this is why the Magistrate for Minors was called upon to give permission for Mary Ellen's underage  marriage.

Sue

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 01 November 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Are you thinking, as I am, that Mary was cared for and raised in the house of her grandmother Ellen Callaghan in the Emberton - Kyneton area, and not by her mother in Rochester?
From her 12 children, Mary did not name any Johanna, although there was an Ann.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 01 November 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would speculate that, yes, Mary remained with her grandmother and James, the second husband while her mother moved on to Rochester.

It may have been an arrangement that worked best for all.

The CALLAGHANs seem to be supportive and kindly and we see that James CALLAGHAN, perhaps with the highest level of literacy in the family, was prepared to take 2 young parents on  one day and handle the protocols of  the registering the births of their babies.

I wonder if he got confused with dates and  names with there being 3  recent family births.
Also as a sign to warm family relations, it was his son and daughter (with Ellen) who were Mary's godparents.

And we have read that he supported the young single mother, Johanna, when her baby's father would not.

Because you have purchased a few certificates dennisryan, you can confidently add a number of definite events to your family history.  They are such a worthwhile documentary investment.

Here is an obituary. Bit of background on George STUART
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/89422754   

John Stuart son of George STUART publican had an accident in 1905
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/89736331

And yes Neale, I had noted in reply#12, that Mary RYAN did not much acknowledge her mother in the names of her children.  Not much more to her than a name on paper, perhaps.

Sue

Offline dennisryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 01 November 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all the contributors: sparrett, Neale1961, majm, wivenhoe and TreeSpirit.

Intermittently over 35 years I have searched in vain for details of Johanna Doherty and John Craig;

yet in the last couple of days your research has revealed more information than I could ever have

wished for. Your ability to quickly retrieve the material and then analyse and relate it to my

ancestors has been impressive.

Dennis

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 01:16 GMT (UK) »
A bit more to add for the Craig family......

The “Glen Huntley” was named the “Fever Ship” in the newspaper when it arrived in Port Philip in April 1840. A number of the passengers had typhus fever, and the ship was put into quarantine.
The Craig family from Scotland were on board:
John Craig age 40
Margaret Craig 41 House servant
Robert Craig 20 Bricklayer
John Craig 17 Farm servant
Mary Craig 14 Nursemaid
Margaret Craig 12
Janet Craig 8
Elizabeth Craig 6
James Craig 4
Isabella Craig - infant died during the voyage - 30 Dec 1839

John CRAIG (the father) died on 14 May 1840 of fever while in quarantine
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188523619/john-craig

John CRAIG and Margaret nee HENRY were married (church of Scotland) after banns on 30 Oct 1818 Abbey, Renfrewshire.
CRAIG   JOHN      MARGARET HENRY
(FR1749)   30/10/1818   559/    40 676   Abbey

Available on Scotlands People.

Robert CRAIG married Mary STAPLETON in Vic in 1845. She was Irish, born in Kilkenny, and is recorded as a dairymaid & Roman Catholic on her ships passenger list. Their firstborn was John, obviously named after Robert’s father.

John Craig and Louisa Maxworthy Married 1875 Adelong NSW
Children:
Robert Leslie Craig, born 23 Dec 1875 Wagga Wagga – died 1876
William Henry Craig, 1877 Adelong – 1960 Tumut
John George Craig, 1880 Adelong -1948 Wagga Wagga
James Robert Craig, 1883 Adelong  -1954 Redfern
Muriel May Craig, 1886 Adelong -1967 Newtown (married J. L. Norris)
Elsie Alice Mary Craig, 1889 Adelong -1974 (married H. E. Shepherd)
Alfred Ellerslie Craig, 1893 Adelong – 1948 Mayfield

Grave of John CRAIG
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155270245/john-craig

Dennis, I have sent you a PM.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis, a word of warning if looking for information about the Craig family in Scotland. There are public trees on Ancestry (all copied from each other, and all without any documented evidence) which have James CRAIG and Helen BROWNLIE as the parents of John Craig who arrived on “Glen Huntley” and died in Victoria in 1840, age 40. I think that those parents are probably incorrect.

We don’t have an 1840 death certificate for John Craig to give us his parents’ names. We do have his wife’s death certificate from 1857 that records Margaret’s parents as Robert HENRY and Mary.
 On the marriage of John CRAIG and Margaret HENRY in 1818 Scotland, we have recorded that her parish was Abbey, and his parish was Paisley. That does not necessarily mean they were born there, only that they were residing there when married.
It looks to me as if their children follow a fairly traditional naming pattern (Robert, John, Mary, Margaret, Janet, Elizabeth, James, Isabella). There is no child named Helen, and the name Helen never appears in the next generation either. So I feel it is unlikely that Helen BROWNLIE is the correct mother.
Here are 2 more likely records to be found on Scotlands People, which would make more sense with the naming pattern used by the family.

1/ John CRAIG (5th child) baptised 11/01/1801 in Abbey to parents James CRAIG and Janet TORRENCE who were married in 1794. After the birth of John, the family moved to Paisley where another three children were born.

2/ John CRAIG (7th child) baptised 24/11/1799 in Abbey to parents John CRAIG and Elizabeth MUIR who were married in 1785 in Barony. This couple remained in Abbey for the birth of all children.
We can only speculate which one, if any, might be correct. I favour the first option.

Also note, there is typed ‘story’ posted on some ancestry trees saying that Donald and Angus Craig who were also onboard “Glen Huntley” were brothers to John Craig. Some simple checking shows that to be incorrect. Donald and Angus came from Caithness, John came from Paisley.

Regarding Margaret HENRY who married John CRAIG. I can’t see a baptism in Scotland for her.
However, this may well be her parents Robert HENRY and MARY in 1841 census:
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a154b55f4040b9d6e5d7b19/robert-henry-1841-renfrewshire-abbey-paisley-1771-?locale=en

Offline dennisryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale, there were certainly a lot of Craigs coming from Scotland.

I can confirm Donald and Angus Craig were not brothers of the John Craig on the Glen Huntley.

You are right they were from Caithness and were the younger brothers of my 2 x great grandmother Janet on my maternal side. They had four female siblings.

You've certainly provided considerable information for me to take in, particularly now that I have details of the Craigs on both sides of the family. Again many thanks for your assistance.

Dennis