Author Topic: Craig / Doherty Emberton Victoria  (Read 2509 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craig / Doherty Emberton Victoria
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 October 21 00:39 BST (UK) »

What information do you have about the marriages of the children of Michael RYAN and Mary DOHERTY?

We do not have enough information to work with here. Knowing more about the people you are researching would be of assistance.

When and where did Mary RYAN and Michael RYAN die?

What certificates do you have for BDM events in the lives of the people you have named?

This is possibly the birth mentioned in newspaper article at reply # 16, found by Tree Spirit.

3171/1870 DOHERTY John  parents Joanna DOHERTY   @ Kyneton

This birth certificate would record age and birthplace of mother Joanna DOHERTY. Informant might be a relative.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:05 BST (UK) »

From the newspaper article, Feb 1871, at reply #16 -

* Baby was born by 5 August.

* John CRAIG's mother is alive.

* At Feb 1871 baby has been with mother Joanna

* Joanna is living with step-father.

* William CAMERON is around at the time, and would seem to be involved in negotiating the matter of financial support for the child of Joanna DOHERTY.

Relevant?

VIC BDM
3301/1873  CAMERON Margaret  parents Mary Ann Frances Maria RYAN /  Samuel
 @    Kyneton

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 October 21 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Land held by a John Craig from Dec 1870 in Metcalfe and by a Robert Craig from Feb 1876: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNS-W9XX-M
Some speculation on the Craig family
I think these two (John and Robert Craig) are brothers.
I wonder if the land in John’s name (1870) was sold to or transferred to his brother Robert in Feb 1876, because John Craig had moved to NSW and in February 1875 had married Louisa Maxworthy in Adelong (Snowy Mountains). John Craig was employed as a “station overseer” and died in Adelong in 1918.

John and Robert are 2 of the 4 sons of Robert Craig and Mary Stapleton who married in VIC 1845.  The children are mentioned in their father’s will. Interestingly John does not benefit from his father’s will, but John's wife Louisa does.

Robert Craig probate summary
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65588594?searchTerm=%22Robert%20Craig%22%20AND%20Cohuna
and
https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/F59157BB-F1D2-11E9-AE98-C3B5F7365F21?image=1

Robert Craig and wife’s Grave has family history supplied by descendants
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/229566268/robert-craig

In the 1856 electoral rolls at East Kyneton is Robert Craig, occupation “carrier”. The Craig parents must have still been in the area around 1871, but perhaps moved north to Cohuna later?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline dennisryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 October 21 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone , so much information to digest.

The Kyneton Observer article Tree Spirit found does seem compelling. John Craig's mother stated "she was properly nursed and fed" ... "the child would always cry after her". Thus the child is female and is old enough to recognise her mother.

I had previously contacted the Kyneton Historical Society which could only provide already known information on Michael Ryan's family. The R.C Church at Kyneton forwarded a copy of Mary Craig's baptismal certificate (attached) which confirms her D.O.B. as 22 May 1869. Apologies it wasn't initially attached, completely forgot it.

Neale1961's information that John Craig moved to NSW and had married in 1875 would explain why he did not provide consent to Mary's marriage in 1889. So was Johanna Doherty still alive in 1889?

Have just obtained a copy of the birth certificate of John Doherty ( reg 3171/1870) as noted by sparrett. Copy attached. This male child was born on 23 May 1869 to Hanna? Doherty, one day after Mary Craig's birth. Is this just a coincidence two women with similar names gave birth within a day of each other but only one birth was recorded?

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Have just obtained a copy of the birth certificate of John Doherty ( reg 3171/1870) as noted by sparrett. Copy attached. This male child was born on 23 May 1869 to Hanna? Doherty, one day after Mary Craig's birth.
I am not seeing this attached. ???
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:16 GMT (UK) »
This male child was born on 23 May 1869 to Hanna? Doherty, one day after Mary Craig's birth. Is this just a coincidence two women with similar names gave birth within a day of each other but only one birth was recorded?

Just to clarify.
The mother's name entered on the Victorian BMD index is Joanna.
See relpy #7  ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dennisryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:24 GMT (UK) »
John Doherty birth certificate attached

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:38 GMT (UK) »
From this certificate I see again the CALLAGHANs are involved.
James CALLAGHAN was a landholder and farmer at Emberton as recorded in the Rates Books which have been linked above.

Quite possibly he was related to Michael CALLAGHAN, a sponsor for the infant Mary.

Sue

PS
I am very distracted by the birth registration which follows that of John DOHERTY on your attached document ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 October 21 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I am very distracted by the birth registration which follows that of John DOHERTY on your attached document ???
Yes, me too. I don't know what to make of it as yet.
I note the baby is named Ellen. This reminds me that when Mary Ryan (nee Craig) died in 1950 she is named Mary Ellen Ryan.
Is the Ellen significant?  Was Johanna’s mother maybe called Ellen?

ADDED / EDIT
Regarding that other birth....
Mary Ann Doherty married Edward Jackson in 1865.
She married again in 1884 to William Grimes.
She died 1925 Cheltenham (age 84) – parents names John Doherty and Ellen Barry.