Author Topic: Costs of 1921 census revealed  (Read 3688 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Costs of 1921 census revealed
« on: Wednesday 27 October 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
The cost to view a transcription is 2.50. To download an image 3.50. This is on top of your membership.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Costs of 1921 census revealed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 08:51 BST (UK) »
see https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

"For all 12-month Pro subscribers, there will be a 10% discount on any 1921 Census purchases."

So all the more reason to sign up for the Pro membership. (159.99 at present.)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone recall the rollout timeline of the 1911 census, from first launch (on a dedicated website IIRC) with premium prices to being part of the routine census offerings of Ancestry and FindMyPast?

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
I know they have to recoup their costs but I find this pricing structure very prohibitive from my point of view.  I suppose I will be able to check on the more direct ancestors of my trees and those I help out.  And maybe 2 or 3 of the "mysteries".

But there is no way I could afford to research a street, for example, which I have done in the past.  And if you want to look at a small village lets hope you win the lottery first.

So once I have checked my most pressing enquiries I can't see myself utilising their services very often.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong, but this is how I remember previous releases being costed at first. Then after a while they include them in subs.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
3.50 (less 10%) to look at the image seems reasonable when you consider how much it must have cost FindMyPast to transcribe and digitalise the census. I will be going straight to images rather than looking at transcriptions first where possible.

It does make commercial sense for FindMyPast to do it this way rather than include it in the subscriptions. If they had done that, there would have been thousands of requests for lookups (even though against FindMyPast rules) on all the different family history forums on Facebook and elsewhere and FindMyPast would have lost money!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
From memory the 1911 census was first online in Jan 2009
The pricing can be seen here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100407075434/http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?r=33&72

Looking at that the pricing for the 1921 census, its not much different and about what I expected.

again, from memory, it was included in an FindMyPast sub by Oct 2009, whether that will be the same this time round is yet to be seen, it may depend on the period of exclusivity that has been agreed with the N.A.

As with every other major database release, I'll balance what I can afford against what I'd really like to know NOW . There are are couple that are top of the list that I 'really, really want' - I know the exact address so will only need the image. The rest will keep till either the budget will stretch to it or its included in a sub.

Boo

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Apparently the 1939 register when first released was 6.95 per household, so it's cheaper than that.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 12:18 BST (UK) »
Apparently the 1939 register when first released was 6.95 per household, so it's cheaper than that.

Well, you got a LOT of households for that, an entire page full (unless they were redacted) so that too sounds reasonable.  I had a fair few on the same page where children had married and lived along the street from their parents. Plus, before it was released, in desperation about a brick wall, I paid 42 for a transcript from the NHS for ONE household.

I do appreciate the commercial companies, if not for them we wouldn't have the access that we enjoy to so many different things from the convenience of a keyboard.
My annual subs wouldn't cover the cost of even one visit to the NA, the travel costs and need for at least an overnight stay to go there certainly puts it into perspective for me.

Boo