Author Topic: Gordon Highlanders enlistments WW1  (Read 1123 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Highlanders enlistments WW1
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 October 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
Wow everyone, and Thank you

Trust Rootshchatters to be so knowledgeable, and generous with time and effort.  Not quite 8 a.m. here in Australia, and just getting organised to set off to my volunteer job (Not genealogy!) - Will need some time to assimilate and mull over all your info.  Will get back to you!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again friends,

Busy day for me, and still have to "take in" all the info given.  Have received very nice reply from Gordon Highlanders museum... as they are all volunteers, it might quite some weeks before they find anything of help...  In the meantime I have just done a "google" wander and have found the following website which is very very interesting... Not sure if you know of it... it is http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/BattalionRoll.htm
?? Relevancy?  Very interesting.. Will get more into it all tomorrow.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 November 21 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Still working on the information you all very kindly found for me.  Still not found Donalds attestation, nor 1901 census, might never - but in the meantime I am learning so much more about military stuff.  The Gordon Highlanders Museum might in the future come up with something for me - who knows.
I am a bit limited, not having Anc. full membership - so haven't checked out English 1901 census.  (vague thought being Donald was down South, with the regiment or some sort of training???)  Not found him on Family Search UK census... Had a look at armyservicenumbers - not found him on FindMyPast service records.  Most of his children born after 1903 were in Aberdeen(shire) ... it is those damn earlier years which are so elusive.  So, even if with all your info we think his attestation with Gordons was somewhere between 1908 and 1910.. linking it with births  - He and Johanna McKay his wife had various childen before their marriage in 1914 - they had twins in 1907  - he is listed as father - then two other children in 1908 and 1910 - these two listed as "illegitimate - mother Johanna McKay" - no father.  I believe that if the father of the illegitimate child presented at the registration he could be named, otherwise not.  So is this more evidence to his attestation/ some sort of military training at this time?   
Anyway - again I am very thankful for your help - Tony - Jim1, CraigM63, - will await the Gordons Museum info - but have already learnt a lot more!

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 November 21 08:50 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper article says he left six children. Was he or she previously married because he was only married for two years?

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 November 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya middlesborough

No, Donald wasn't previously married, nor was Johanna.  They were forerunners of todays young people inasmuch as they weren't great ones for the formality of marriage!  Donald in particular was a Highland Traveller, who were too busy surviving to bother about things like that.  They did in fact get married in 1914, just before Donald went off to war.  Let's face it, in those days there wasn't a social welfare system, and it was an insurance policy in case he didn't survive (died in fact in Belgium 1916) - so at least they knew that she would get a War Pension to help raise the children.