Author Topic: Stuart Fordyce connection  (Read 1495 times)

Offline suzette stratton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuart Fordyce connection
« on: Friday 29 October 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
My husband's grandfather Francis Donald Stuart 1877-1961 was born at the Golden Lion Hotel in Stirling to  the proprietor Robert Stuart 1834 - and Ann Elizabeth Watt 1835-1950.  The 1891 census has the Ann Elizabeth, widow, in Lincoln running the Great Northern Hotel.  Can anyone tell me how to find out when this family left Stirling and The Golden Lion?
Question 2.  Robert Stuart 1834 had a sister called Jessie Fordyce Stuart 1826-1881.  Jessie F Stuart married David Hall in Glasgow 1848 had issue 1850 but was then widowed sometime between 1850 and 1857 when she marries in Australia.  Can anyone tell me why the Fordyce in her name?  My husband's DNA is linked to this lady on Ancestry.
Question 3.  We have inherited an undated (probably 19C) oil painting which has a label on the back "Robert Alexander Stuart - Gentleman - Raigmore".  The Stewart/Stuart Society tell me the Mcintoshs lived at Raigmore.  Can anyone tell me how I can find out who this gentleman was?    :)  :)
Thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart Fordyce connection
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzette

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The Stuart family was still at the Golden Lion on 8 King Street, Stirling on the 1881 census. Showing as Stewart. If you have the option of wildcards, I would search this surname as St*rt.

There is a reference to a Robert Stuart, Tenant of Stables, 8 King Street on the 1885 Valuation Rolls on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk He may have kept the tenancy going on the stables following a move?

Robert died on 1 January 1890 in Lincoln. He is referred to a Hotel Proprietor on his entry on the Probate Calendar index.

A little history on The Golden Lion Hotel here www.thegoldenlionstirling.com/the-hotel/heritage-history/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 21 15:04 BST (UK) »
In order to find a possible connection to the surname Fordyce used as a middle name for Jessie, you need to expand on their family group. Very common to use important family surnames (particularly from the maternal line) for next generations. What do you have on Robert and Jessie's early years? Have you been able to confirm their parents' names?

I see from the 1881 Scottish census that two of their children, John and Marion, were born in the London area.

There is a marriage on 30 April 1868  at St Barnabas, Homerton, Hackney, for a Robert Stuart, provisions merchant and son of Robert Stuart, clothier,  marrying an Ann Elizabeth Watt, daughter of Robert Watt, merchant. Is this their marriage? Francis's Stirling birth cert should include date and place of parents' marriage to help you confirm.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
I see that Jessie's death index entry in 1881 in Australia gives her parents' names as Alexander Stuart and Annie Ada.

How have the links been made to show that Robert and Jessie were siblings?

Monica

Offline suzette stratton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
Re Robert and Jessie being siblings - they shared common parents Robert Alexander Stuart and Ann McDonald  - all records found in Scotland Select Births and Baptisms.  Had issue Helen b1823, Elizabeth b.1825, Jessie Fordyce b.1826, John b.1829, Robert b.1834, Alice Fyfe b.1836.

Offline suzette stratton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Just to confirm. I have definitely identified Francis's parents  via his Baptism Certificate which gives date and place of their marriage.

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your response.
Suzette :)

Offline suzette stratton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 21 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Apologies for troubling you again.  On Francis Stuart's Baptism Certificate, Robert is referred to as Hotel Proprietor.  In this context does Proprietor simply mean Manager as he is referred to as Tennant on the Valuation Rolls.
Suzette

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 October 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
I think Robert Stuart was the hotel owner of The Golden Lioin. He is referred to in his 1881 census entry as Hotel Keeper & Port Master.

The reference to the 1884 and 1885 Valuation Rolls only mentioned the Stables at the address, not the hotel itself.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 October 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
I take it back. I left the building number off the search on the VRs on Scotlands People. This gives the building no for the hotel as 10 King Street.

Robert Stewart is showing as a Tenant for the hotel listing. The owner in the 1870s was an Alexander Gibb. By 1885, it had passed to William Crawford.

Robert Stuart, showing as tenant there from at least 1876 - 1885. Guessing the stables were then located at 8 King Street from what we had earlier.

Monica