Author Topic: Problems with 23andme?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with 23andme?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I finally decided to go with 23andme as Jill's experience was encouraging. Sent sample off on 20th November and it reached the lab on 8th December. Estimated date for results was originally December 29th but this had changed by December 30th to 5th-12th January 2022. Results arrived this morning on 4th January. Not too bad given the situation in USA and Christmas/New Year period.

I will post again once I have had time to explore more thoroughly. I do not expect to get anything like the leads I got, and am still getting, from Ancestry but I am hoping for better results than the other sites.

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm in a similar situation where I've been a long time Ancestry user who's finally signed up too 23&me to try and find more close relations.

I found the processing time pretty similar to Ancestry and thought 23&me did a better job of keeping me updated on progress.

However, now I have my results I must admit I'm a  bit disapointed with the ancestry aspects of 23&me. Unless I'm missing something, you cannot see other people's trees and there's no facility for searching for ancestors either. Seems to be much more focused on the health aspects.

Having said that I have managed to connect to a new 3rd cousin after just a couple of days.

R.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 13:45 GMT (UK) »
'dicko'99 ( ???),

See my comments on page 1 of comments!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 14:18 GMT (UK) »
'dicko'99 ( ???),

See my comments on page 1 of comments!
👍
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 January 22 21:39 GMT (UK) »
The problem that I've found with it is that people don't answer when you contact them, that annoys me the most.
However, I suppose that happens on all sites.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 January 22 11:11 GMT (UK) »
A-L, one thing I have noticed is the large percentage on my match list who have not logged in over the past six months. I assume they have tested for ethnicity or health reasons and will not respond to a message. On reflection, the health aspect will only increase the numbers on the site who are not interested in genealogy. Early days yet but I am not hopeful.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 January 22 18:47 GMT (UK) »
A-L, one thing I have noticed is the large percentage on my match list who have not logged in over the past six months. I assume they have tested for ethnicity or health reasons and will not respond to a message. On reflection, the health aspect will only increase the numbers on the site who are not interested in genealogy. Early days yet but I am not hopeful.

I have some of those too.I did notice that a couple of them had since been online but never replied.
Why put your information there if you don't want to be contacted ?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 16:24 GMT (UK) »
..... there's no facility for searching for ancestors either. Seems to be much more focused on the health aspects.

You can search for any ancestral names they have listed in the normal search box in the relative match list page. That didn't use to be possible and you had to download all the data to be able to do that via a spreadsheet search function, so that is one improvement.
  If you have taken the health test you also now have the option of upgrading to 23andme+ for £20/year which will give you 5000 matches instead of 1500 and a few other search options.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 February 22 13:10 GMT (UK) »
As my results have been live for some time I thought I would summarise my experience so far. First the positives. My original concerns that prompted my post have proved to be unfounded. The processing time was reasonable, communications good, and their support desk resolved an initial problem (my fault) quickly and effectively. On that basis, I cannot understand the Trust Pilot reviews that originally concerned me.

One of the major reasons I took the test was because 23andme results can feed in automatically to Genetic Affairs new cluster report Autokinship developed by EJ Blom that creates trees based solely on the level of matches. This worked seamlessly although whether it will produce leads will require a lot more work. Anyway, the 23andme part works well.

I feel their shared match list, termed relatives in common, is the best of all the sites although it is spoilt rather by the crazy terminology “DNA Overlap” which is set to yes or no for each match in the shared match list. As far as I can see a yes simply means that my shared match and I triangulate with that individual in the list and a no means they do not. Seems a very confusing way of avoiding the term triangulate.

As far as the negatives are concerned I endorse everything Jane says and could add a few more to her list. I have had three members contact me but I was unable to find common ancestors. I have received one reply so far from the messages I have sent. The low levels of recent log-ins and absence of trees suggest 23andme will be on a par with FTDNA, for me behind MyHeritage and very far behind Ancestry. That said I have had one success from the reply I got in identifying our MRCA for that match.

Worth doing? I guess everyone will have a different take on that.