Author Topic: Henry Swinson English Surgeon: NSW Australia  (Read 409 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Henry Swinson English Surgeon: NSW Australia
« on: Saturday 30 October 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for descendants of Henry Swinson born 1800 in Bromsgrove England. He was the son of George Swinson, both being eminent surgeons. I would like to forward on a photo I have of Henry to any living relatives. I understand the family moved to Australia and lived in Bowral Western Australia.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Swinson English Surgeon: Bowral Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 21 00:02 BST (UK) »
There is a great deal on www.trove.nla.gov.au (free online newspapers) and Ancestry.com.au  about this family and the name Newton follows through so it would be possible to put together a family tree using the Electoral rolls.
Or you might strike it lucky that a Rootschatter has connections to the Swinson family.

shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 21 00:58 BST (UK) »
A newspaper item names some family at Bowral, New South Wales.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/124508650?searchTerm=%22Henry%20SWINSON%22

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am unable to locate Bowral in Western Australia.   
https://auspost.com.au/locate/post-office/wa#tab-b

In the Obit for Dr Henry SWINSON, it says he died in England in January 1900, but  it refers to Bowral in New South Wales and it was published in the Bowral NSW local press :   
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/124508650  Bowral Free Press 14 Feb 1900.

The Obit says he never married, but it does name his then sole surviving nephew and other members of the extended family from Bowral NSW 

He never married.- Dr. G.Newton Swinson, late of Bowral, N.S.W., is his sole surviving nephew, and he was great-uncle to Mrs. T. A. Reddall and Miss Swinson of Bowral.

It is important to mention that NSW Electoral Rolls, historically, are compiled by surname, not by household, nor by street.  So I cannot confirm if this is the Miss Swinson mentioned in the newspaper cutting.   I can simply advise that Florence was aged 21 years or more, and a British Subject, and had voluntarily enrolled to vote, citing her then address and occupation as listed.

NSW Electoral Roll 1902 ILLAWARRA, polling at Bowral
Florence Lucy SWINSON, Shepherd St, Bowral, school mistress,

I should also include the obit for Lucy Dorothy SWINSON, the wife of Dr George Newton SWINSON, as one of her daughters is mentioned in it as being the Principal of Bowral Ladies School.   The family seems to have arrived in the Bowral NSW district about 'twelve years ago' - so in the mid 1880s.   There are many family names mentioned in that obit, mostly residing in NSW, but there is also mention of Bunbury in Western Australia.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/124505997 Bowral Free Press 21 June 1899

JM  Oops, red post,  Well found Essie.  I had typed up my post, sorry for duplicating link.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Swinson English Surgeon: NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information you have sent me. I have been researching the Swinson family for some years now and have taken my research back to a marriage of a Joseph Swinson grandfather of Henry 1799-1900. I can find no living descendants in the UK hence my search in Australia so as I can return the photo of Henry to his family.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke