Author Topic: Looking for a birth announcement, San Francisco, 1877  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Looking for a birth announcement, San Francisco, 1877
« on: Saturday 30 October 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
According to her death certificate, Charlotte Beulah Logan [who generally went by her middle name] was born on 5 May 1877 in San Francisco, California.  I believe that she was adopted by the Logans but I don't know what her birth name might have been or who her birth parents were.  So I am looking for the birth of a girl, name unknown, on 5 May 1877 in San Francisco.  The birth may have been reported in the San Francisco Morning Call.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a birth announcement, San Francisco, 1877
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
The birth may have been reported in the San Francisco Morning Call.

Looks like online coverage for this newspaper's archives is 1890-1895 only.
According to a recent research paper, Beulah "presumably had been born in Pohnpei or in the United States sometime in the 1870s". Her parents were missionaries Robert William Logan (Congregational Reverend with ABCFM) and Mary Logan (nee Fenn). The research paper does not indicate if Beulah was their adopted daughter or not.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Who are the parents named on the death certificate?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Looks like Beulah continued on with her parents' missionary cause. Her occupation is "Missionary" on the image of the Passenger List card below. Apparently, the Morning Star missionary vessel belonged to her parents' congregation, and made many journeys to and from Micronesia, Hawaii, and the USA.

Hawaii, U.S., Arriving and Departing Passenger Lists, 1843-1898
Name:   Miss Charlotte Beulah Logan
Arrival or Departure Age:   20
Birth Year:   abt 1877
Arrival or Departure Date:   28 Jul 1897
Departure Place:   Honolulu
Arrival Place:   Micronesia Islands
Ship Name:   Morning Star

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
"presumably had been born in Pohnpei or in the United States sometime in the 1870s"

Yes, I am aware of that statement.  In fact, it was that very document which led me to reconsider the confusing matter of Beulah's birth.  I know a lot about Beulah and her family but her birth remains mysterious.  Was she, in fact, adopted and, if so, when?  Was it in 1877 when she was a newborn or in 1882 when the Logans passed through San Francisco during their furlough to the United States?

The information on Beulah's death certificate came from her son, Logan Tuthill, so there is a fair chance that it is accurate concerning the date and place of her birth:  San Francisco, May 1877.  The death certificate lists Robert Logan and Mary Fenn as her parents but  ....

According to my grandmother, whose information has heretofor proved to be trustworthy, Beulah was an adopted daughter.  My grandmother was Beulah's cousin and knew her personally; indeed, Beulah probably lived with my grandmother's family for a year or so in 1893 when Beulah was sent to school in Endeavor, Wisconsin. 

On the other hand, it is also true that Mary Fenn Logan was in San Francisco during the spring of 1877, recovering from an "undisclosed health condition."  Was the undisclosed condition pregnancy?  Newspaper reports have Mrs. Logan returning to the islands in July 1877 with her  [unnamed] child.  Was this child the infant Beulah or was it the Logan's son Arthur, age six?  Other newspaper articles give conflicting accounts of when Beulah first went out to the islands; some say that she was just a few weeks old [1877] and others that she was six years old [about 1882].

In short, Beulah's birth remains a mystery.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
Have you read Beulah's book "Micronesian Memories" published approx 1900? Perhaps she mentions her birth details (if adoption-related) in the book? Not sure what else to suggest.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 21 00:05 BST (UK) »
Here are the births listed in the San Francisco Chronicle from 5 May to 13 May 1877.

I see a daughter born 5 May to an F Garrissere listed in the 6 May edition.

This appears to be that family. They have a daughter May listed as age 3, the census was taken 9 June 1880, so she would be 3 if her birth was 5 May.

1880 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6PC-MHM

I see several sons born on 5 May but no others with a daughter.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 21 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, RJ.  The Garrissere girl is accounted for.  She was not orphaned.  She lived out her life in Sausalito, California, married with numerous children.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband’s family lived in San Francisco around that time (and remained there). I’ve found few newspaper notices (births, marriages, deaths) for his ancestors.  I don’t know if his ancestors avoided newspaper announcements or if just more noteworthy folks were generally included in announcements.  So, please keep in mind not all events were published.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)