Author Topic: Medical question: myocardial degeneration and paralysis  (Read 1370 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medical question: myocardial degeneration and paralysis
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 October 21 17:10 GMT (UK) »
That is a very good point Ray, and I am sure you are right!

However, I am still left with no clue as to why he was paralysed ... and there is no way I am going to find out. NEVER MIND in the grand scheme of things it's not hugely important. I just hate having little insoluble mysteries!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 October 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again!
In reply to the first question, before his early retirement in 1887, George was a minor member of a wealthy family who owned a carpet factory. Following his grandfather's death, the sons and grandsons (including George) took the decision to sell up and live lives of leisure on the proceeds.

Living a life of leisure suggests a person had ample time to fill with active hobbies such as horse riding, following the hounds, etc.

Spinal injuries as a result of falling from a horse are still very common .

https://www.nature.com/articles/3101280
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 October 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
How old was he when he died?
Cowban

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 January 22 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaidenStone, he was 63 and an obituary states that he had been 'in failing health' for three years before his death. Perhaps surprisingly, it doesn't mention paralysis. There is also no mention of his having suffered an accident which might have caused paralysis. End of the line on this one I think, many thanks to all contributors.

Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 January 22 12:36 GMT (UK) »
A possible link between the two conditions -

I think that we would probably refer to “myocardial degeneration” nowadays as “heart failure”. There are many possible causes of heart failure but a common one in the past was damage to the heart valves caused by rheumatic fever. But there are lots of or possible causes, some of which, such as inherited cardiomyopathy, can affect younger people.

If the heart is damaged, it’s less likely to beat efficiently and atrial fibrillation (AF) is common in this situation.

AF is an important cause of stroke - the heart beats irregularly, the blood doesn’t get cleared through the heart properly with every beat, and blood clots can form inside the heart. If they then move on and into the brain, that causes a stroke. This may actually be more likely when AF is not fully established and the heart beats well at some times and erratically at others. And of course, a stroke can cause paralysis.

Now of course there’s no saying that this was the case for this man but it’s a possible scenario.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 January 22 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the paralysis was a secondary condition of Syphilis?

That can affect the heart also
Sufferers  are not  paralysed in that mobility is restricted, but it is the brain that is affected .
“ Paralysis of the insane “ was a very common euphemism for Syphilis .
The condition can last many years .
 If the family was an influential one there might have been some glossing over,however a death certificate is a legal document I imagine so a lie of omission would be more likely than a bald statement, thus leaving some connection to be made to arrive at the truth.

Connect the separate symptoms and one disease seems quite likely.Syphilis.
Viktoria.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 January 22 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie and Viktoria!
Thank you both for your contributions. I am sure Annie that you are right about the link between heart issues and a stroke, seems very plausible.
However Viktoria has opened a whole new line of speculation with her suggestion about syphilis. It may or not be relevant that George's youngest son was diagnosed with syphilis in the 1920s! I have seen his medical records however and there is no mention of the characteristic physical signs of inherited syphilis, which were of course well understood and recognised by that time. The doctor's opinion was that he had contracted it during military service. But still, makes one wonder ...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 January 22 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Syphilis can be passed from mother  to unborn child .
Not father although he could have infected the mother .
So not exactly inherited from ,passed to more likely during birth .

Very obvious, a copper coloured rash,a harsh yet high pitched cry and  a dip in the bridge of the nose sometimes, which is more obvious as the child develops.
Convulsions  sometimes too.
Treatable but when successful treatment became available I am not quite sure .
Both Vincent Van Gogh and his brother had Syphilis, not inherited but just  their  “ life style!”
A strange disease with seemingly periods of remission when people would renew that lifestyle so spreading it .
Viktoria.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 January 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria, he (the son) did suffer from convulsions! Hmmm ... I have no information on the facial malformation and have been unable to find any photographs of any of the family. Interesting!