Author Topic: Merchant Navy - Master (Home Trade) Certificate.  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - Master (Home Trade) Certificate.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
John.

Over my morning cuppa, I have had a quick look at the link forwarded. I am now aware that your PRIMARY research focus is for 'Registers of Seamen's Tickets' and 'Crew Lists & Agreements' from around the world, to fill the gaps in the British Archived records that you have been accessing.

This is not my field of expertise, but I assume our Marintime Museum volunteers would have some knowledge of NZ civil records that have survived. From experience I have learnt that not all records in our National archive system have been individually indexed when it comes to individuals named therein OR their contact/enrollment details; but all held files, or bound books of old records will be with regard to the type of contents.

The historic Seamen's certificates, apparently over 16,000 of them, are in bound volumes which have been indexed, and some have also been digitised, and can be viewed on line. The certificates in the remainder can be viewed at the holding branch and photographed by the public for free. A few carry notification of access limitations due to preservation requirements. One such SPADES was still able to photo a copy of for some former research of mine.

These are the certificates I have been discussing on this thread and the thread I linked to. They are the official office duplicate copy and contain no other info about the sailor's employment.

The 1915 Arbitration Court press report that I found, I find very revealing about the conditions on the West Coast shipping trade out of Onehunga port on the Manukau, and as it supports some of my pioneer research, have compiled a group of press cuttings based upon the service of Alexander MacKINNON, into a short bulletin.  You are welcome to a copy, and I will eventially forward a copy to the local Museum whence he came.

Must dash.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 November 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
Thanks for update and after an evening on NZ Times 1910-20 Ships & Shipping have been gathering info on Tarawera, Huia, Hawera & Takapuna.
Managed to get through 60 lists with 180 to continue tomorrow (now today !!!!).
Will update more fully in morning.
Regards,
John. 

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 November 21 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

Anyone with a little spare time on their hands, and access to NZ electoral rolls. I am interested in the following to back up my collection of press clippings.

Subject elector: Alexander MacKINNON

Years 1900 – 1920

Have evidence of him on the NI West Coast 1909 – 1915

Ship’s junior engineer, Sailor, Mate, up to Master in that period.

Home port ONEHUNGA, or a Taranaki Port / Roadstead Landing. Probably included Wanganui as a port serviced. Definitely as far south as Patea.

Could have had an interest in a land title at OHURA – OAKURA ?

Not A MacKINNON of Huntly, nor A MacKINNON of Otago, in that period of time.

Must dash.

Thanks if you can,
Alan.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 November 21 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Alexander MacKinnon ss "Hawera" Mariner, 1914/1919 E/R Wellington Central.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 November 21 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Gee thanks. KHP.

That is him as that was the ship he is recorded as serving on most. Was not expecting Wellington though. Might have to revisit two press clips. Will study late tonight. My busy day not over yet.

Thanks.
Alan

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 November 21 02:46 GMT (UK) »
John, in for another cuppa.

Had a quick look at a copy of A CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE that had been didgitised, and to my eye it appears to offer little info as well. Some interesting letters on file though of some applying for a Masters Certificate being declined because it was believed the full term (3, 4 years etc had not been fullfilled) Saw one where an official noted that quite a few months had been spent sailing a small vessle from the port of Tauranga to a nearby Island. The official deemed that DID NOT qualify as time spent gaining experience in NZ Coastal shipping.

Attached copy of one that has been digitised. Not sure if you have found access to these certs.

Alan.

For the record. John RUSSELL  (Home Trade, UK) 1873 attachment.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 November 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
My reply #16 has entry details and I have attempted to view records but the result was that the entry for no.5572 is not yet digitized.
I am about to continue search in NZ Times extracts "Ships & Shipping" from 101(5.12.1910) of 180(1920) so looks like a few more days work !!!
So far I am linking up McLean and McKinnon men on Tarawara, Talune, Huia, Hawera, Takapuna, Kurow & Rakanoa.
jcmac.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Morning all.

Does anyone have ready access to the following books.

‘Little Ships of Patea’  by Ian CHURCH; Dunmore Press, Palmerston North 1977.
‘Little Ports of Taranaki’  by Margaret de Jardine; New Plymouth 1992.

Interested in any mention of sailors with a MacKINNON [McKINNON] surname.

Cross checking. Wishing to sort out what I can only assume are typo’s in the conflicting press of the day, regarding the initials of MacKINNON seamen signing on, or off duty, on vessels serving the West Coast Posts.

In particular ss Awahou to Foxton, and ss Hawera to Patea. Press clippings so far found are in the period 1910 to 1918.

A generation earlier there was a Captain Alexander MacKINNON who died at Dunedin in July 1879, As well as being a local settlor of note, he formerly had an interest in the Greenock, Scotland, built ‘Albion’ a two funnel ship trading between New Zealand and the UK.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 November 21 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Morning all.

Can any one locate where Alexander MacKINNON who died [1968/42238] 11/11/1968 aged 79 was buried/cremated.

As the MacKINNON spelling is not that common, in NZ archived records, it could be the same mariner that KHP found on the Wellington electoral roll 1914 - 1919. 

I now have evidence of Captain Mc/MacKINNON doing the Patea run in the Hawera and sister ships right up to 1945.

Thanks,
Alan