Author Topic: Is this Lily's mum?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Lily's mum?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Again my 'non expert' disclaimer, but I think this latest signature seems to be a more educated hand, and is more flowing than either of our two other comparatives.

The 's' in the Boswell appears to be very differently shaped.  Leans to the right, like the letter writer's hand, but apart from that I would say no other likenesses.  Not the same person in my view.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:23 GMT (UK) »
 :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Not an expert either but I think both signatures in the latest marrige cert clip appear to be written by the same person? One would expect to see this in a hand written copy of the original record? Does the writing in the rest of the cert look like it is the same hand?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Not an expert either but I think both signatures in the latest marrige cert clip appear to be written by the same person? One would expect to see this in a hand written copy of the original record? Does the writing in the rest of the cert look like it is the same hand?

PB

very good spot polarbear!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course it is when I look again. I thought there was something strange about it when I did the clip. Well spotted. PB.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted - sorry about that.  I've just looked at the whole document, and it is indeed a copy of the register - very disappointing.  Sorry to have wasted your time.  I'll keep looking for the original.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 November 21 08:22 GMT (UK) »
No worries - I like to polish up my handwriting analysis skills.  It's very interesting when you start looking at individual writing to spot similarities and differences.

And this is a very good lesson in looking carefully before just jumping in as polarbear has helpfully pointed out!  ;) ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 November 21 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I hope that it is okay that I add something that isn’t really helpful here…

I am left-handed.  When I sign or write something “important”, my letters are very upright and the penmanship is very controlled due to the position of my hand and pen. When I’m just writing a note or something similar, my letters do slant to the right and I hold the pen totally differently.  However, although the two writing styles look nothing alike, I suppose the letters are similar in the different styles. (Over the years, I’ve noticed a few of my left-handed friends doing the same thing.)

Perhaps it’s just something that we have learned to do to cope in a somewhat right-handed world but I thought I would share my writing oddity in hope of it helping in the future.

Update: I just wrote an identical sentence using my two styles.  Very few of the letters are similar in the two styles. An ‘a’ even looks like it was written by two different people.  Only the ‘y’ is very similar.  I wonder if other people would have the same results — I am quite surprised how different the letters look from the controlled upright writing to the more loose forward slanted writing.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 November 21 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, me again.  Another reason for a possible variation in writing styles…long, long, ago I injured my wrist when I was in school.  I had to continue to take notes so I wrote with my right hand.  While I clearly was better writing with my dominant hand, I impressed myself with having legible (right-handed) writing after a few weeks.  😁

Injuries can possibly be a cause for penmanship differences.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)