Author Topic: Help with ships 1800s  (Read 426 times)

Offline Colecam66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with ships 1800s
« on: Tuesday 02 November 21 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone’ after a wonderful fellow member discovered a very possible match for my ancestor’ i am having a little trouble still trying to research from the information he found for me.  Samuel Cameron was admitted via England Dreadnought hospital 23/06/1842.  It states ‘last service’ Gypsy Queen.  It also states’ port sailed from Liverpool merchant service 8 upon and i think it might say Earl Mulgrave??? Ive tried to look up these ships but the timelines are incorrect.  I was hoping for some advice on how to locate any information.  Thanking you in advance
Cheers
Mandy

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ships 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 09:58 GMT (UK) »
He was first admitted to the Dreadnought hospital on 20 November 1841 suffering from "venereal", last served on the Earl Mulgrave, out of Liverpool.

It's all a bit confusing. The Earl Mulgrave had arrived at Gravesend the previous day, from Waterford. She had  arrived in Waterford from London on 27 October.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
There was a ship called Gipsey or Gipsy Queen (captain Jenkins) which was plying between Guernsey and London circa June 1842, carrying potatoes from Guernsey.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Earl Mulgrave - 1842 Lloyds Register: https://archive.org/details/HECROS1842/page/n203/mode/2up

Offline Colecam66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ShaunJ ‘ so i should research where the ships sailed from and to by looking via Lloyds? Samuel was born in PEI ‘ so he may have jumped on board a merchant ship? He would have been only a boy of 12 which apparently wasn’t unusual in those days’ i wonder how much information would be available though as in would he have needed consent or papers signed by a parent??
Thanks so much

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
If you enter the name of a ship into a newspaper archive, you will often be able to trace its movements and cargoes. A number of newspapers serving port towns recorded this.