Author Topic: James Wilkie (1789-1864), Chelsea Pensioner  (Read 202 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
James Wilkie (1789-1864), Chelsea Pensioner
« on: Wednesday 03 November 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
James Wilkie was born in 1789 in Airdrie, parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire and baptised there on 4 October 1789, parents John Wilkie, mason, and Margaret Storry/Storie.

At some point he married Bridget Driscoll, who was born in Ireland. At least one child, John, was born in Ireland, in 1814/1815. Five more children were born in Airdrie between 1816 and 1830, and baptised in the Roman Catholic church there.

They were in Airdrie in 1841 for the census, James described as a had loom weaver.

Bridget must have died soon after the 1841 census because in 1843 James married Esther O'Neill, by whom he had three more daughters, all baptised in the RC church at Airdrie.

In 1851, still in Airdrie, James is described as a bookseller.  By 1861, James is again widowed, and described as a pensioner.

He died in Glasgow on 6 March 1864, described as a cotton weaver.

When his daughter Agnes married in 1867, she gave the occupation of her father James Wilkie as Chelsea pensioner.

Can anyone point me at his Army pension record or his service record? I assume that he must have enlisted and been posted to Ireland, and that while in Ireland he met Bridget and converted to Roman Catholicism in order to marry her.

He is not the James Wilkie born in Evandale, Lanarkshire, who served 14 years in the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Evandale must be the parish of Avondale and therefore by definition not the town of Airdrie or parish of New Monkland. I have scrutinised all the readily available documents relating to this James Wilkie and as far as I can tell he is not 'mine'. He was not discharged until 1820, several years after 'my' James Wilkie was back living in Airdrie.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilkie (1789-1864), Chelsea Pensioner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Just in case this helps with dating his movements

Casey collection indexes:
Name:   Bridget Driscoll
Record Type:   Marriage
Marriage Date:   1808
Marriage Place:   Eire, Ireland
Diocese:   Cloyne
Spouse: James Wilkie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 15:51 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful, thank you. Another piece for the jigsaw.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a Royal Artillery discharge record for a James Wilkie born at Evandale, Lanarkshire circa 1788.

Served from February 1808 to February 1820, and was at Waterloo.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F1270%2F097%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F1270%2F790509

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

In the last paragraph of my first post I stated that I have scrutinised all the available documents relating to the James Wilkie born in 'Evandale', and I am satisfied that this is not the James Wilkie I am looking for.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Your first post gets longer every time I look at it !

I've also seen 1851-1862  pension records for a James Wilkie of the Royal Artillery (9th B)who was admitted to out-pension in July 1816, pension payable in Glasgow.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that's potentially useful - I'll see if I can find it.