Author Topic: BNA PDF image quality?  (Read 306 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BNA PDF image quality?
« on: Thursday 04 November 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Is it just me or is there an occasional problem when you're viewing BNA pages in browser (via FindMyPast in my case) they seem really clear and legible, but when you download them and reopen as a PDF you can barely make them out?

I can't see any option to increase/maintain the resolution at the pre-download stage, so I'm having to resort to the faff-on of making screen shots to be sure I'm not completely wasting my time...

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BNA PDF image quality?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Is it just me or is there an occasional problem when you're viewing BNA pages in browser (via FindMyPast in my case) they seem really clear and legible, but when you download them and reopen as a PDF you can barely make them out?

I can't see any option to increase/maintain the resolution at the pre-download stage, so I'm having to resort to the faff-on of making screen shots to be sure I'm not completely wasting my time...
I assume you are talking about the British Newspaper Archive? I don't think it's an occasional problem sadly, I think it's stinginess on over compression, I assume the pdfs are made and submitted when the newspaper becomes searchable, rather than being made on the fly. Usually I can make out what is said unless the original or the scan is particularly poor, but I always make sure to make a screengrab or grabs of the particular article I am interested just in case.

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 21 20:37 GMT (UK) »
yes, the Newspaper Archive. I had a month's sub to it a couple of years ago and don't remember this problem, but maybe 10-20% of what I download via FindMyPast is barely readable at a later date. But yes, I think you're right, we're downloading previously created pdfs rather than creating them at the time of downloading, so probably nowt we can do other than screenshot. It's just a case of trying to get into the habit of it - I try to open the pdfs right away to highlight the relevant story to save having to scan the page for 10 minutes when I open it a few weeks later, but don't always remember to do that either.

Mind, all that being said, on the Joe Lycett WDYTYA, I noticed they had a big A3 printout of a story that was clearly readable, would like to know what they did. Pretty sure it wasn't the original newspaper anyway.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I also have a problem with reading the text of newspapers that I have tried to save, perhaps by taking a screenshot. It seems that the only foolproof way around it, without rejoining the site where the paper was discovered, is to copy the information that is of interest by recording it through the key board or on to paper.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire 1825- 1960)
Marsh (Co Durham+Berks  Bucks post 1935, Wokingham 1990)
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I also have a problem with reading the text of newspapers that I have tried to save, perhaps by taking a screenshot. It seems that the only foolproof way around it, without rejoining the site where the paper was discovered, is to copy the information that is of interest by recording it through the key board or on to paper.
In my experience, the actual live viewable image is fairly good, probably because it has to be a high resolution file to start off with, as you need to be able to zoom in and out. But the pdfs seem a little bit of an afterthought, and no one seems to have checked whether the compression settings and resolution they have been selecting for the pdfs actually make most articles readable.