Author Topic: MacKenzie, Ulcombe  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacKenzie, Ulcombe
« on: Friday 05 November 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Mackenzie family of Ulcombe in Kent in the early – mid nineteenth century. I think there were two sisters called Mary (possibly Marianna) and Caroline who made a quilt that the Quilters Guild of Great Britain is hoping to buy for its museum collection. I think Caroline was born around 1826. I am a member of the Guild and an amateur genealogist, and I have volunteered to do some research to see what I can find out about the family.

The parents of Mary and Caroline were Alexander and Susannah (nee Steer). Alexander seems to disappear before 1841. What happened to him? Ann disappears too.

If anyone has any interest in this family, I would love to hear from you.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MacKenzie, Ulcombe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Mackenzie of Ulcombe was buried at Broomfield 9th August 1870 aged 86 years
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Also at Broomfield, a burial for Alexander Mackenzie 31st October 1831 age 49 years.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Bearkat. I will see if they left wills

Sorry, in my first message I meant to say that Mary disappears too. I have been getting myself confused with Mary, Mary Ann, Marianna and so on.

I am wondering about Alexander's death because of a family story. The guild says the quilt was made in 1842 (I don't know why they think this). It was made for the eldest daughters wedding, that never took place. That would be Mary, I think. The story is that "papa" decreed that the quilt should be put away. So it has never been used and is in excellent condition, which is one reason the guild would like to have it. But the dates and the story don't fit. If there are wills, we may be able to clarify.
Kent. Spendiff

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:31 GMT (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriages Index has a marriage for Mary Ann Mackenzie to John Pope at all Saints. Maidstone 8th February 1847.

A John Pope, MS, is living with the family in 1841.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a marriage for Caroline in Kent but there is a Caroline Mackenzie marrying James Bensted at St John, Hackney 21st April 1848. Caroline's father was Alexander, and James' was James - both were farmers.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 November 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
You can see what land Susannah was farming on the Ulcombe Tithe Award Schedule

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/research/tithes/ulcombe
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 November 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
That's fascinating - she was not a land owner, then. I could not see a date on that doc.

I am not sure about the date of Alexander's death. The guild has been told:

'This bedcover was made in 1842 in the village of Biddenden, Kent, by the Misses Mackenzie, probably as a wedding gift for the eldest daughter. For some reason the wedding did not take place and "Papa" decreed that the cover should not be used. As far as we can trace, it never has been on a bed since that time.'

The quilt is in great condition, which I think is probably why the guild are thinking of getting it. But if the family story is right, then Alexander cannot have died in 1831.
Thanks again, Bearkat.
Kent. Spendiff

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 November 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I think that is Caroline's marriage because the quilt has come down though the Bensted female line. I don't know why they married in Hackney, unless it was where the Bensteds were from . I haven't looked for them yet.
Kent. Spendiff