Author Topic: Copying pictures from camera to PC  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Copying pictures from camera to PC
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 November 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Silly question maybe?
What is the make/type of SD card, some cards exchange data to computer very slowly.
(I use Sandisc Ultra, but just use to store still photos)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 November 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Currently using Sandisk Extreme PRO 64 gb
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Are you copying the files from the card to the PC, or looking at things while they are on the card?

If the latter, the speed will be limited by the hardware connecting the reader to the rest of the PC; this is usually USB 2, and often borderline for playback of "normal" video, let alone 4K.

The card you mention is capable of excellent speed when used in matching hardware, like your camera, but PC hardware is often built down to a price.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I copy from both card & camera. Both have worked fine up with no problems until very recently. I keep stuff on the card but use the Pc for editing and back up - I transfer to a remote hard disc. i would see the pictures, select which ones I wanted to keep, copy and rename them and edit as necessary. I am currently unable  to copy videos to an acceptable standard and copying would have to be done on a one by one basis. I fear it will need another visit to the shop.
Thanks for all your help.
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
If you are copying the files as-is, then it looks like the camera is not storing the images in the format you want.

The size of a typical still image should be similar to what you used to have. Similarly, you should be able to work out the sizes of videos as about so many kilobytes a minute. If these values have changed substantially, you may have nudged one of the camera controls in an unexpected direction. Cameras seem to have thousands of settings controlled through only a handful of buttons, and it's all too easy to find that the description of one of them doesn't make sense to anyone but its designers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your continued help. I discount nothing but although I will check it out, I consider a camera problem unlikely as the same situation applies to the card reader. Professional help needed I fear.
Regards
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon