Author Topic: Kerr ancestry throughout scotlandI  (Read 1219 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kerr ancestry throughout scotlandI
« on: Sunday 07 November 21 16:23 GMT (UK) »
My Kerr family ancestry came from Mouswald, Cleughbrae and Stoop near Dumfries. More lived in Terregles Kircudbrightshire.Others lived in Cramond, Midlothian.Some moved to live in Cumberland where the name changed to Carr.I would be interested to hear if any rootschatters have been researching their Kerr roots and might share common ancestry.Thanks stoop.

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kerr ancestry throughout scotlandI
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have some info. on my Kerr ancestors.   Descendants of John Kerr (born Morton, Dumfries 1771) and his son William (1801 Durrisdeer.)  Most of them lived in Durrisdeer, Sanquhar and Kirkconnel.  Any interest?

Grendlsmom.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest I will investigate to see if there are any links common to  us both. Stoop.

Offline glendarobinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 22 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi grendlsmother - I am new to this chat and am very interested in some of your posts. I have a james kerr from 1800-1805 born in kirkconnel and am looking for his parents.  In another one of your posts I saw you were looking for alexander connell. His daughter Janet Connell was married to James Kerr so I am assuming we have the same ancestors.  I don't know if there is a way to communicated directly? but would love to hear more.  I have done a lot of checking into james and his children and would love to share.

Thanks
Glenda

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The only James Kerr I have who would be a possible match was born in 1795 in Durrisdeer, Dumfries
but his family subsequently moved to Kirkconnel.   Alexander Connel did have a daughter Janet, born 1803 Old Cumnock. Is this the same one?  I have no record of her marriage but have a lot of other information on Alexander's family.  Still haven't got a date of birth for him - he says born Campbeltown on the censuses but nothing showing there.

You can send me a private message once you have made three posts. 

GM
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 23 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all, bit late in replying but only discovered this Roots general page. I have Kerr name in my maternal grandfather's side - his mother Isabella Kirk Kerr, says born in Maxwelltown, district of Troqueer , Kirkcudbrightshire but her family I have searched all have been given as born in Dumfries.
There are still Kerr relatives in Dumfriesshire and Glasgow, though where and who now are very distant to me, and no surviving elderly family to contact .

Regards

Bill
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.