Author Topic: Sergeant William Jacobs 1855 to 1876  (Read 126 times)

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sergeant William Jacobs 1855 to 1876
« on: Sunday 07 November 21 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me with the attached document please.

I am researching a person who was buried at Llandyfeisant Church, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

I found his Army Service records (4 pages) on Find My Past for 1855 to 1876, signed in Bermuda and according to an article in a newspaper article about death that his record was very good, but I don't understand the number of trials he had.

Were these trials for getting promoted or was he naughty on those occassions, it just appears that after the trial has been remitted he gets promoted.

Also, he was in Woolwich in 1871 (01/04/1871-30/06/1871) but can't find him in the Census, maybe he arrived back after the census or if he was stationed on an army barracks was the census not carried out...

In or about 1878, he joined up again and was promoted to Battery Sergeant Major in Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, Wales. He was discharged in 1891. He is mentioned in 1881 and 1891 Censuses living in Carmarthen.

He got married in 1888, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales to Fanny Cole and they had only one child called Lillie Myra Jacob/s who was born in 1889 in Carmarthen.

Thanks

Colin

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sergeant William Jacobs 1855 to 1876
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
They would have been fairly minor transgressions, otherwise his general conduct would not have been described as good. He lost his  Good Conduct pay which was later restored.

Then he was demoted but that was remitted and hes rank restored. Nothing particularly unusual about that.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester, Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.