Author Topic: Mills East Ilsley  (Read 974 times)

Offline MosesKinne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mills East Ilsley
« on: Monday 08 November 21 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I‘m still looking for the marriage of James Mills and his wife Maria who baptised the following children in East Ilsley:
1807, 28 Mar  William
1809, 20 Aug  Elizabeth
1812,  05 Apr  Sarah
1815, 30 Apr  Eleanor
1818, 05 Jul  Elizabeth
1821, 02 Sep  Thomas
1824, 11 Jul,  Joseph

I’ve found an interesting marriage St Bride Fleet Street,City of London between a James Mills widower and Mary West widow. James was married to Hannah who died 1801 so he was a widower. There was a marriage between a William West and Mary Pike in West Hanney not far from East Ilsley. This couple had a child in Northmoor,Oxforfshire where the groom was from. It’s just a theory but maybe its my couple ?

I have other ancestors who married in St Bride Fleet Street what were the reason to get married there ?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mills East Ilsley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 21 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 21 04:11 GMT (UK) »
The marriage at Fleet St in 1808 only appears to be the Banns, and there is no indication of a marriage having taken place. No M in the margin like on some. Nothing in the actual marriage registers either.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Did you ask the Oxfordshire FHS to check for anything likely in their marriages index?  There's nothing in the Berks FHS index, but it's a long way from complete.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
It may help for us to know the occupation of James Mills, which should be given on the last four baptism records.

Offline MosesKinne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 21 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your messages! I’ve found the marriage and the baptisms of their children on Ancestry but the baptisms are without image. On the 1841 Census James and Maria Milld are 63 and 60 both born in County and James is a Labourer.

The marriage in 1808 is just a guess I can’t find any other suitable marriage for the couple  ???

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
If James was a labourer and both he and Maria were born in Berkshire, then they were most likely married somewhere locally.  I would forget about Fleet Street.  You may need to have some marriage registers searched, 1800 - 1808:  try Blewbury, Compton, West Ilsley, Beedon, Hampstead Norris.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
It may help for us to know the occupation of James Mills, which should be given on the last four baptism records.
James is consistently described as a labourer.

If James was a labourer and both he and Maria were born in Berkshire, then they were most likely married somewhere locally.  I would forget about Fleet Street.  You may need to have some marriage registers searched, 1800 - 1808:  try Blewbury, Compton, West Ilsley, Beedon, Hampstead Norris.
I've checked all those, and more.

There's no plausible marriage in anywhere currently covered by the Berkshire Marriage Index, which is why I suggested to Moses to ask OFHS to check their marriage index.  They have indexed some of the old North Berks parishes which BFHS have not yet included.  It could even be in Oxford.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
They may not have married because they were unable to.
E.g Maria was already married and husband still living. If the husband pre-deceased the wife, then a marriage might take place but a lot later than expected.
Or Maria might be James's dead wife's sister, where marriage was prohibited. But OH has one on his tree where a marriage did take place between such a couple, but up in London, a long way from the home of either party.

I have a case in my tree where a woman and her uncle (her mother's much younger brother) were cohabiting as man and wife and producing children. No marriage there.

What is known about Hannah Booker?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott