Author Topic: Mills East Ilsley  (Read 977 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mills East Ilsley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have GG grandparents who married late and out of their parish as the bride was a widow marrying her brother-in-law.  They had already had one child pre-marriage.

As for Hannah Booker, the only entries for her in EIPR are her marriage and burial.
Speculation:  she may have been the daughter of John Booker of Uffington and Hannah Haines of East Ilsley who married in EI in 1773.  Hannah's age at death indicates a birth c1773.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have GG grandparents who married late and out of their parish as the bride was a widow marrying her brother-in-law.  They had already had one child pre-marriage.

As for Hannah Booker, the only entries for her in EIPR are her marriage and burial.
Speculation:  she may have been the daughter of John Booker of Uffington and Hannah Haines of East Ilsley who married in EI in 1773.  Hannah's age at death indicates a birth c1773.

Was that the Hannah bapt in Denchworth? But unless she was baptised quite late she would be too young. 23 not 28 at death, but 3 and 8 can be confused.

Hannah had a sister Mary but I have her marrying William Wallis in one of the Hendreds. I have William tentatively as son of Thomas Wallis and Mary Smith. Thomas Wallis was my 4 x great grandfather's brother.

The other possibility in forbidden marriages is if Maria was James's brother's widow (if he had a brother)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens ....  ;D
I hadn't looked any further into the Bookers, but Denchworth sounds about right as I have Hannah Booker née Haines buried there in 1796.  Her elder sister Sarah Haines is my direct ancestor, so the Bookers are twigs.

I haven't seen the Hannah Booker baptism*, but yes, 23 and 28 could easily be confused. Plus there's the general vagueness about ages in earlier times.

*Actually I've got the Phillimore transcription for Denchworth somewhere, will have a look.  Another rabbithole!  ::)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline MosesKinne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for helping me to find my ancestors Marriage.

James had a brother called William born 1769 East Ilsley who married Mary Prior there in 1797. Maybe James married his brothers wife ?

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
James had a brother called William born 1769 East Ilsley who married Mary Prior there in 1797. Maybe James married his brothers wife ?

I think she is the Mary Mills who was buried on 5 December 1805.  William & Mary's last child William was born on 29 November, baptised on the same day as Mary's funeral, and was buried on 16 December.

I do think we are looking for a Maria, not a Mary.  I know these are variations of the same name, but she is consistently Maria in the EIPR and it's not a Catholic register.