Author Topic: Fermoy Barracks  (Read 1105 times)

Offline stecon33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fermoy Barracks
« on: Tuesday 09 November 21 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any information to further my research of my Great Great Grandparents

My Great Great Grandfather John Connell (Born in Co Cork 1833) joined the British Army 1st Battalion 14th Regiment  of Foot at Fermoy Barracks service no 13 and was married to my Great Great Grandmother Bridget (born In Killavullen 1835) whilst serving there in 1861 my Great Grandfather also John was born in the Barracks 1862 before they left for India via Malta before ending up in Bradford England

If anybody can assist in how I would gain any more info regarding my GG Grandparents from their birth to leaving Ireland with the army it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stephen

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fermoy Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
If John Connell's military record still exists, it would probably provide you with his birthplace in Cork and/or his occupation prior to enlisting.

Find My Past have a British Army Service Record for:
John Connell (born 1835)
Date: 1857
Location: Carrytoel, Cork, Ireland. This might be where he enlisted rather than his birthplace.
This particular record may be 14th Regiment related, but I'm unable to access the image to confirm.

There's a family tree for Irish-born John & Bridget Connelly - living in Bradford (1881).
The tree has John's DoB as 8 January 1832. Birthplace: Charleville, Cork County.
No birth details for wife Bridget (nee Coghlan) but the tree has listed her parents' names.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

1st battalion 14th Regiment of Foot aka the Prince of Wales's Own and the Buckinghamshire Regiment.
Embarked at Queenstown 19th August, arriving Malta 29th August 1867. Cholera outbreak on arrival.   Remained in Malta until late 1868 when it went to India, according to information on these websites.

14th Regiment of Foot (The Prince of Wales's Own)
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/14th_Regiment_of_Foot
Chronology + time in India.

"Regiments of the Malta Garrison
 The 14th (Buckinghamshires)"
www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/14th.html

Try "Stations of the British Army" for each year 1862-67 to track the movements of the regiment. List of regiments and their locations were published in some newspapers e.g. Edinburgh Gazette. I don't know how often the lists appeared. I looked for a few random years.
 e.g. 1863 A March edition of a Welsh newspaper gave the information that 14th Foot 1st battalion was in Jamaica and that 2nd batt. was in New Zealand.   https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3093490/3093497
Searching for Stations of the Army for other years shows 1st batt. was in Jamaica on a list published Dec. 1862, at Aldershot August 1864 and Sheffield at some point in 1866. 2nd batt. was in New Zealand for a much of the time. List in "Edinburgh Gazette" dated 1st Jan. 1864 has 14th Foot in Halifax N.S. (Nova Scotia?) but doesn't specify which battalion.
It seems likely that John spent most of the period 1862-1867 outside Ireland.

There are several websites about the army in Ireland.
"Garrison Towns" is worth exploring.
https://irishgarrisontowns.com
There are websites devoted to the army in County Cork. An internet search for terms such as "British military barracks in County Cork" and "British Army County Cork" + a range of years should find some.

Finding information about early lives of John and Bridget will be harder. Birth registrations didn't begin in Ireland until 1864. Before then the main source for births is baptism registers. To find people in those you need to know where they were born, roughly when and their religious denomination. You also need Bridget's maiden surname. Preferably also name/s of parent/s of John and Bridget. Registers in many R.C. parishes didn't start until later in the century. Some C. of E. registers were destroyed or badly damaged in 1922.
Have you found them on censuses? What information did they give about place of birth? Were they consistent about age?
 Were there other children after John? What were their names, approximate birth years and places of birth?
Was their son John baptised and if so, where, when and which denomination?

A guide to Irish family research is Irish Genealogy Toolkit.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com

Cowban

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has this
John Connell age 42 born Carrytoel Cork
Discharge/pension record 23 July 1878
14th Foot 1 Batt.
Reg number 15

His age is out a little if this is your family 1881
John Connell 48 born Cork Ireland  Tailor
Bridget 46 born Ireland
John 19 born Ireland
Frank 5 born Bradford ( registered as Francis with mothers maiden name Cocklin) Coghlan?
Kate 13 born Malta
Mary Ann 9 born Bengal India

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Place of birth on the military record for John Connell, born 1835, 1/14th foot looks like "Carricktuohel" - which would appear an attempt to capture "Carrigtohill/Carrigtwohill (Carraig Thuathail)"?

Discharge papers show intended residence Bradford, occpn. Tailor.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 10:31 GMT (UK) »
His army records are available on FindMyPast and Fold 3.

His medical records show some of his postings:

Fermoy 1860-63
Aldershot 1864
Portsmouth 1865
(He deserted in June 1865, rejoined in March 1866, court martialled in Sheffield, 3 months in prison)
Sheffield, March 1866
Curragh, July 1866
Tralee, April 1867
Cork, June 1867
Malta  ? 1867
Cawnpore 1868
Calcutta 1872
Invalided to England January 1873
Bradford 1873

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stecon33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the fantastic responses this has given me a lot to go on and a lot of new information and places to look

Please keep the info coming

Very much appreciated 

Stephen

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »

The OSi GeoHive National Townland and Historical Map Viewer has been updated - Fermoy Barracks in the Historic 25" map (1897-1913).

https://arcg.is/180PvK

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo