Author Topic: Which William Sutton  (Read 2209 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Which William Sutton
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 13 November 21 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, :)  it is so  important to positively eliminate a candidate, 

I will be going through some of my NSW bdm Early Church Records of marriages .... looking at witnesses .... often these are connected to either bride or groom,  :)  ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 14 November 21 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Harriet in 1790 could have been his. Harriet of the Derwent. Mary may have been another father after William had gone. She may have stayed with her father in England as only Sarah and Harriet came with Ann to Australia. The other thing I thought was odd was the gap between Edward and Sarah. Eight years between the two and only two years to Harriet. Perhaps there was another child in that eight year gap. Not sure how we could ever find out.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 14 November 21 00:09 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't add to anything, but Sarah is also in the 1841 census at Parramatta as Sarah Skawler.

I think this is a vital piece of the jigsaw.

A marriage for a Margaret CONNOR, and look at one of the witnesses !

Back now, with my transcription of a marriage.

25 July 1836, St Matthews C of E Windsor, by the Rev Henry T STILES.   Joseph PUDDY of this parish and Margaret CONNOR of this parish, married by Banns with consent of the Governor.  Witness Richard CLARK of South Creek and Sarah SKELTIN of South Creek.   All four signed with their respective x marks. 

I think Sarah SKELTIN of South Creek is same person as Jomot noticed as Sarah SKAWLER.    I think this Sarah is the Sarah we have noted as Sarah WILKES/WILKS and Sarah MURPHY and as the lass with a maiden name of SUTTON, and likely the daughter of William SUTTON of this thread's topic heading. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 14 November 21 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Murphy married Henry Schooler in 1824. REF: 3296/1824   3298/1824 Henry was also a convict having arrived on the Fortune in July 1806.

In 1828 she was included in the census living at Parramatta
Murphy, Sarah, came free, Porpoise, 1799, wife of Henry Schwoles, Parramatta
Murphy, Mary Ann, 1808, born in the colony
Murphy, Margaret, 1814, born in the colony
Murphy, Susan, 1817, born in the colony
Murphy, Catherine, 1819, born in the colony children of Sarah Murphy, Parramatta
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/1224/images/CSAUS1828A_081763-0022?treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=LxO748&_phstart=successSource&pId=525

In 1845 she made a land claim. It reads:
"Sarah Schooler or Scowler (formerly Murphy) of Parramatta. widow....."
So Sarah was a Murphy, and her surname of Schooler was also spelt Scowler.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12880698?searchTerm=sarah%20schooler

It seems there was some difficulty getting the name consistent so Skawler, Schooler, Scowler could all have been the same person.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 14 November 21 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Murphy married Henry Schooler in 1824. REF: 3296/1824   3298/1824 Henry was also a convict having arrived on the Fortune in July 1806.

In 1828 she was included in the census living at Parramatta
Murphy, Sarah, came free, Porpoise, 1799, wife of Henry Schwoles, Parramatta
Murphy, Mary Ann, 1808, born in the colony
Murphy, Margaret, 1814, born in the colony
Murphy, Susan, 1817, born in the colony
Murphy, Catherine, 1819, born in the colony children of Sarah Murphy, Parramatta
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/1224/images/CSAUS1828A_081763-0022?treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=LxO748&_phstart=successSource&pId=525

In 1845 she made a land claim. It reads:
"Sarah Schooler or Scowler (formerly Murphy) of Parramatta. widow....."
So Sarah was a Murphy, and her surname of Schooler was also spelt Scowler.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12880698?searchTerm=sarah%20schooler

It seems there was some difficulty getting the name consistent so Skawler, Schooler, Scowler could all have been the same person.

Hi there,

Yes, and that is not eliminating her as formerly WILKES or nee SUTTON.

JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 14 November 21 01:54 GMT (UK) »
A quick ‘snapshot’ of Henry SKOOLER
1814, he is in the Brisbane Waters district, he is partnered with Eleanor CONNOR per the Experiment of 1809. 
1818 he is sent from Newcastle to Port Macquarie.
1825 he is in the Parramatta district, free by servitude, and a landholder
1828 November Census: 
He is aged 63, a labourer and householder in the Parramatta district, and also in the household are:
His wife, Sarah, aged 40, *** who arrived per the Porpoise 1801 and her children :
Philip MURPHY aged 7, Born in the Colony and Catherine MURPHY aged 9, Born in the Colony

Notice that the 1828 census document records Sarah as arriving per the Porpoise 1801.  The recorder was a John BROWN, constable.

May I mention that those NSWBDM reference numbers cited for Henry’s and Sarah’s 1824 marriage actually follow the usual ECR pattern displayed at the NSW BDM online index and include not just a line number/year but actually need to include the ‘V’ and its actual Volume number.   

ADD two items.... firstly a snip for the NSW BDM reference numbers and secondly *** a snip showing Sarah's age as recorded on one of the 1828 census versions - does that read 46 !

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 14 November 21 02:08 GMT (UK) »
A marriage register (or umm, several) has long been known to be missing from St Johns C of E, Parramatta.   I do not have a transcription including witnesses, nor the status of the bride or groom (widow/spinster or widow/bachelor), nor if either could sign or if they made their mark …  but I can confirm that that the Kerrison James Index has the following info:
Henry SCHOOLER and Sarah MURPHY married 23 February 1824 at St Johns, Parramatta. 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-guide

Also re the 1828 Census – see the threads:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732779.0  and
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810812.0

ADD
a) Re Philip MURPHY.
A baptism at per St John’s C of E, Parramatta.
Philip, son of George PEMBER and Sarah MURPHEY of Parramatta, was born 25 August 1821 and baptised 25 May 1822 by Rev Thomas HASSALL.
and
b) Re James MURPHEY.   From St John’s C of E, burials.
James MURPHEY aged 51 years, was buried 7 September 1820 at Parramatta by the Rev Joseph KENYON.

JM

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 14 November 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a cross reference. On page 2 of this post I outlined the history of Sarah including the four husband/partners John Wilks, James Murphy, George Pember and Henry Schooler. Children were:

Sarah with John Wilks:
•   Harriet Wilks (1806-)
•   William Wilks (1808-1811)

Sarah with James Murphy:
•   Mary Ann Murphy (1810-1838) - Weatherall
•   Margaret Elizabeth Murphy (1813-1887) - Woodward
•   Susannah Murphy (1816-1884) - Magill
•   Catherine Murphy (1819-1876) - Stedman

Sarah with George Pember:
•   Phillip Pember (1821-1852)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 14 November 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Just a cross reference. On page 2 of this post I outlined the history of Sarah including the four husband/partners John Wilks, James Murphy, George Pember and Henry Schooler. Children were:

Sarah with John Wilks:
•   Harriet Wilks (1806-)
•   William Wilks (1808-1811)

Sarah with James Murphy:
•   Mary Ann Murphy (1810-1838) - Weatherall
•   Margaret Elizabeth Murphy (1813-1887) - Woodward
•   Susannah Murphy (1816-1884) - Magill
•   Catherine Murphy (1819-1876) - Stedman

Sarah with George Pember:
•   Phillip Pember (1821-1852)

:)  starting at the end of that post ....  NSW BDM has the burial as 1852 and as Volume 118, line 985,  and as Phillip MURPHY., aged 29.   

JM.