Author Topic: Wearhead family in Weardale, Cherry Tree House  (Read 1765 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wearhead family in Weardale, Cherry Tree House
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Suellio
I was convinced the Richard and Elizabeth family  were my ggg grandparents, they had two daughters 2-3 years apart, which seemed to fit.   The birth years were not correct.  Your gravestone shows Ann died at 15.  My Ann married Joseph Hodgson and moved to Quebec and then Ohio USA in 1854.  She had about 14 kids, and died in Ohio about 1905.    Also a 4th cousin of mine living in San Francisco, USA, sent me a marriage document of Ann marrying Joseph Hodgson and Mary marrying William Pattinson.  Also, Mary Wearmouth/Pattinson went with Joseph to Ohio, i found Mary and Ann's gravestones. The father shown for the girls is Thomas Wearmouth living at Cherry tree House. I found  1841 and 1851 census data showing this family living at burnfoot in 1841, then Cherry tree House in 1851.  Then to make it confusing, Mary does not show up in the 1841 census. (She married in 1845)  Ann married about 1850.  Also, Richard and Ann also show up living in Cherry tree house  around that time.  Maybe Richard and Thomas were brothers.... maybe Thomas adopted Mary?   So you are spot on saying things get confusing in Weardale.  I can not find any census data for 1831. Guess there is not any.  I have had no luck with finding birth or baptisms to prove anything either.
Someday i might figure this out.  I might take a vacation and visit the weardale museum, they have a great data base i understand.

Thank you for helping me with this
Oh you're welcome. Yes, they do. I live about 35 miles away , closer to Durham City downstream on the River Wear. Durham has a fabulous 11th century Cathedral and castle and we have some lovely countryside  to explore. Weardale itself is absolutely stunning. Very rural though. I would try and come in the Summer if you do visit.
I don't think we had a census in 1831, or if we did it's not available. Yes, I realise that's not your Ann. More for elimination , plus maybe some help with next generations . I'm not very good at reading family  tree info in sentences. I need to see it in tree format. Is your tree on ancestry public? If so I'll take a look if you can tell me your username or tree name ? Otherwise I'll draw a tree from the info' on here.   I think I have a Hodgson and possibly a Pattinson in my tree. Definitely  no Wearmouths though .I'll see if I can help with anything else . I do know that a lot of the earlier parish records for SJC were destroyed in a fire, but they have what's available in folders inside the church. My grandparents are both buried there and one of my great grandmothers, but my Dad who has dementia now, can't remember where her grave is. Because they were all Methodists the older graves don't have headstones because they were only allowed for people of  Church of England denomination until the later 1900s.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
My ancestry.com tree should be public.  Username is genehodgson.  Let me know if you can see it

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Sueelio, i jumped to my conclusion.  Richard did not die in 1845.... but i need to make up a timeline.  I saw census records showing Thomas in cherry tree and burnfoot.  We salso have two different Richard wearmouth families.... i will try to sort this out.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Sueelio, i jumped to my conclusion.  Richard did not die in 1845.... but i need to make up a timeline.  I saw census records showing Thomas in cherry tree and burnfoot.  We salso have two different Richard wearmouth families.... i will try to sort this out.
Ooooh, it gets soooo confusing in Weardale🙄 just about to have a look at your tree. I can see Weardale baptisms for 2 Thomas Wearmouths
From free REG -Stanhope baptisms for Thomas Wearmouth
Thomas Wearmouth - Feb 1798, St John's Chapel
Thomas Wearmouth-  1803, St Thomas the Apostle , Stanhope

What names  did you know for definite from the family history book written in the 1920's ?
Do the graves of Ann and Mary have their Date and place of birth and husband's names?

Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I could post a screen capture.... but i don't know how,.... and may not be allowed

Ann  b 1833 in stanhope, d 30 jul, 1905 in ohio usa m to Joseph hodgson

Mary b 1821 in stanhope,  d 21 july 1906 in ohio usa m to William Pattinson

Find a grave has a photo of their headstones in Brookfield cemetery. Not all this info is on the headstone... some i learned from ancestry searches

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I could post a screen capture.... but i don't know how,.... and may not be allowed

Ann  b 1833 in stanhope, d 30 jul, 1905 in ohio usa m to Joseph hodgson

Mary b 1821 in stanhope,  d 21 july 1906 in ohio usa m to William Pattinson

Find a grave has a photo of their headstones in Brookfield cemetery. Not all this info is on the headstone... some i learned from ancestry searches
Thank you. I can't seem to find your member name on Ancestry.
I've found a baptism for a Mary Wearmouth ,Aug 1821 ,Stanhope. Father Thomas Wearmouth , mother Jane. Just looking for a corresponding birth.

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Try
Hodgson Family Tree   Or  Eugene Hodgson   Or genehodgson     With spaces or none as shown

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 December 21 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Ann and Mary’s parents were Thomas Wearmouth and Ann Lowes

If you send me your email I will send you a tree invite, I think I can do that

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 December 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Ann and Mary’s parents were Thomas Wearmouth and Ann Lowes

If you send me your email I will send you a tree invite, I think I can do that
I told you I'd get confused☺️ Apologies. And you know that for certain? Been really busy with house renovations, but will find your tree tonight.