Author Topic: 1664 Scottish Will  (Read 435 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1664 Scottish Will
« on: Wednesday 10 November 21 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Attached is a snippet from a Scottish will dated 1664.  I think this starts with the word “item” but after that I’m not making much out.  I’m not even completely sure it is in English.

I would appreciate a bit of help with a few lines to help me get my eye in.

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1664 Scottish Will
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 22:58 GMT (UK) »
It is just written in Scots.

Item ye defunct had ye tyme fors[ai]d p[er]te[n]ing to him ye goods & geir underwrit of ye pryces
following viz In ye first the sawing of sex firlotts corne estimat to four bolls half
boll corne pryce of ye boll yrof  iij lib vj s viij d Inde xv lib It[em] a tydie kow
pryce yrof x lib It[em] a forrow kow pryce yrof viij lib It[em] a zeir old quoy
estimat worth viij lib It[em] four scheip pryce of ye peice orheid xxvj s viij d
Inde v lib vj s viij d It[em] ane boll threschin beir in the born pryce yrof
iiij lib It[em] ye insy[ch]t & plenishing of ye defuncts hous in utencills & domicills &
the abulzi[men]ts of ye defuncts body estimat worth x lib

Item the deceased had at the time foresaid pertaining to him the goods and gear written underneath of the prices following namely In the first place the sowing of six firlots of corn estimated to produce four and a half bolls of corn, price of the boll thereof £3 6/8d hence [inde = Latin for hence] £15 [lib = librae = Latin for pounds] Item a cow in calf [= a tydie kow], price thereof £10 Item a cow not in calf [= a forrow kow], price thereof £8 Item a year-old heifer [ = quoy: today usually quey] estimated worth £8 It[em] four sheep, price of the piece a head 26/8d hence [= inde] £5 6/8d It[em] one boll threshed bere [= a kind of barley] in the barn, price thereof £4 It[em] the furnishings [= insycht] and plenishing of the deceased's house in utensils and household effects [= domicills] and the clothes [= abulziements] of the deceased's body estimated worth £10.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 21 08:43 GMT (UK) »
You may find this site useful for all those particularly Scottish words.
Dictionary of the Scots language
dsl.ac.uk

A boll was a measurement of goods such as grain, malt, salt etc
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks GR2 – I’m very impressed.  I can vaguely see how the words you’ve transcribed correspond to the script, but I’m going to struggle! 

I need to find the bit of the will which mentions other people and then I may post that too, depending on how I get on.

Thanks goldie, that will be useful too.  I looked up firlot and I see it is a quarter of a boll.  So he sowed 1.5 bolls and was hoping to reap 4.5 bolls.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
If the document starts by saying it is a testament testamentar, then it will contain a will in which the deceased gives details of legacies , nominates an executor etc., followed by an inventory. If the document starts by saying it is a testament dative, then the deceased did not make a will and what is given is the confirmation of an executor and an inventory.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Well done indeed GR2, braw work. ;D

Skoosh.