Author Topic: Armstong - Elliot of Binks near Teviothead Scotland  (Read 179 times)

Offline rebeccareardon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstong - Elliot of Binks near Teviothead Scotland
« on: Thursday 11 November 21 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on

William Armstrong (1779-1860) married Betty Elliot (1783-1848).
KNown children - 6 children - William (b1803), Betty or Elisabeth (b1805), Janet (b1807), James (b1810), Adam (b1812) (Adam was 6th child so missing one)

William as a Shepherd and all their children above were born at Binks near Teviothead registered Cavers Parish.

Does anyone know any details on Binks (which I assume was a farm) or this family.

bec

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Armstong - Elliot of Binks near Teviothead Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 21 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Is this the 1841 entry for his son William?   I canít see an entry for William & Betty senior.  All b Roxburgh except Betty

William Armstrong 35 ag labourer
Betty 27 b England
Robert 7
William 5
Janet 4
Adam 7mths
Adam 38
Archibald Scott 14

In 1851 - Robert aged 44 is a shepherd & Betty is still alive.  Adam Armstrong 47 is shown as brother but Adam jnr is not shown - ? Died??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rebeccareardon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 21 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I have also not been able to find William and BEtty Snr in the 1841 or 1851 either

Thanks Carole. I had a closer look ... maybe but there is also some things that make me think not. I know I am missing a child as Adam's (b1812) birth record says he was the 6th child and that James b1810 was the 5th child  - and it makes sense this missing child is the eldest, as William and Betty snr married in 1798 s but I only have their first child as William (b1803). So this brother "Adam"born around 1800 listed in the census record you found could be him. But if there was an older brother that survived, then why name another child by the same name in 1812? And if they followed the naming patterns, the first child should be called John.

My actual ancestor is their daughter Betty  or Elisabeth b1805. She married Thomas Scott and they migrated to Australia on the Moffatt in 1839.

bec

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 21 17:27 GMT (UK) »
How do you know William senior was b 1779 Roxburgh & Betty 1783.    No marriage on Scotlands People & no births either

You say William died 1860 & Betty died 1848 but no deaths on SP.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Historical map with Binks showing here www.scottish-places.info/features/featuremap19294.html also here www.bordersfhs.org.uk/teviothead.asp

Photograph of the grazing land nearby www.geograph.org.uk/photo/578390

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 21 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Bec, there is a mention of 10 children for William and Betty here:

New member Ian comes from the never ending line of current and past members who find their roots in Scotland with the offspring of William A* and Betty ELLIOTT. To recap they had ten children: WILLIAM (1803), BETTY (1805), JANET (1807), JOHN (1809), JAMES (1810), ADAM (1812), BARBARA (1814), NICHOLAS ELLIOT (1816), ISABEL (1819) and WALTER (1821). Ian is connected through Adamís line.  Adam married in 1853 Helen TAIT (1833).....
www.armstrongclan.info/roots-researches.html

Monica

Offline rebeccareardon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 November 21 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladies
CArole - I got the births and deaths of William and Betty snr  info off a geneology site. Unfortunately I myself have also not been able to back up.

Monica - yes I have seen this - probably on one of the family tree site - your message prompted me to have another look and  I found the other children (Mum Betty put down her married name and also used Elizabeth so it threw me). But I cannot find John b1809 at all.

Thank you ladies