Author Topic: Will of Thomas Scatchard - 1617  (Read 334 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Scatchard - 1617
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, horselydown, I truly appreciate your help in deciphering these wills, and just hope that I'm not pushing my luck a bit too far when I need help with the next one, that of Mauger Scatchard, when I've had the time to try and assimilate the information gleaned from Thomas' will.

I knew of Thomas' two children, but the appearance of a brother Andrew opens new avenues of research, particulary with the references to Andrew being of Wakefield and Thomas' holding lands there. The other surprise is the appearance of Thomas' niece, Ursula, of whom I had no previous knowledge. I can only assume that this has to be the daughter of Nicholas Scatchard, baptised in Calverley in 1594, and thus that Nicholas is a brother to Thomas. Calverley, if my geography serves me right, is not too distant from Pontefract, another location mentioned in the Will.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is the first part of the Latin:

...et decimo die mensis Decembris Anno d(omi)ni
Mill(es)imo sexcen(tesim)o decimo septimo M(aste)r fflathers decanus decanatus de Aynstie...

I think we had the name fflathers a month or two back?  Here this one appears to be the dean of the deanery at Aynstie.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is the first part of the Latin:

...et decimo die mensis Decembris Anno d(omi)ni
Mill(es)imo sexcen(tesim)o decimo septimo M(aste)r fflathers decanus decanatus de Aynstie...

And the rest of it ...

... cert(ificavit) de

p(ro)bac(i)one h(uius)m(odi) test(ament)i p(er) testes nominat(os) iurat(os) etc(etera) Comissaq(ue) fuit ad(ministraci)o bono(rum) eiusdem defunct(i) ...

... and on the tenth day of the month of December in the year of the Lord one thousand six hundred and seventeen, Master Flathers, dean of the Deanery of Aynstie, certified regarding the approval of this will by the witnesses named and sworn etc., and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted

(Is there any more? Name of the executor, etc?)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox. What is on the last image is all that I have been given. If you think there should be more, I will go back to the Borthwick and ask them to check.The executrix is, from the Will, Thomas' daughter Elizabeth, but Thomas also requires his brother Andrew to be supervisor. Elizabeth would have been 10 years old when her father died, and Richard about 13, so the intent of the will as I understand it is that Andrew is to act as the children's guardian until they come of age, and hence the reference to their tuition and education. I suspect Elizabeth would not legally be able to act as executrix anyway as she would have been too young, and can't help but wonder why she was chosen over Richard. Thomas' wife Margaret died in 1612 which is why she is not mentioned. The youngest child, Jane, was born 1610 and died 1611.

I'm trying now to identify the locations mentioned. So far I have found only Little Stubbings, which is a farm to the east of Otley. In respect of lands "houlden by Coppy", Nottingham University website has the following:

Smaller landholdings within manors were held by copyhold tenure. Title deeds for these pieces of land do not exist in quite the same form as for freehold land. This is because copyhold land was technically owned by the Lord or Lady of the Manor. The people who actually lived on and farmed manorial lands were only tenants of the manor. They held their land by custom, which varied between manors.

I don't think the lands in Wakefield will be identified easily, so now it's time to pore over old maps to find:

Eaddye/Caddye Close in Melshfield
Little Bradleys
Rammer Pitts

Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 19:36 GMT (UK) »
What is on the last image is all that I have been given. If you think there should be more, I will go back to the Borthwick and ask them to check.

As the ending seems a little abrupt, I thought there might be a few more words, but perhaps not, as the last line of the page is unused. It depends on the format used by this particular jurisdiction – they’re all different. If nothing is in doubt, I wouldn’t worry about it, but if you want to double-check, you could ask the Borthwick.

If you’re looking for information on copyhold tenancies, you might want to see if any manorial records survive for the area at the relevant period. I'm afraid I haven’t been following this thread closely enough to know which parish it is. You can search the Manorial Documents Register here ...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/manor-search