Author Topic: Correct marriage but lots of wrong details??!!  (Read 3029 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Correct marriage but lots of wrong details??!!
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 14 November 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I think, sadly, that Rachel Gower married Thomas Davies in Carmarthen in 1866, rather than David Rees, and so probably no name mix up.
1881 has them in Llanelly, Thomas Davies is 37, and Rachell Davies is 36.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2W9-21JQ

And there are Davies birth registrations in Llanelly, with mother's maiden surname Gower, matching those children's ages in the census.
Dec 1867, John Davies
March 1870, Thomas Davies
March 1873, Sarah Jane Davies
Sep 1875, Margaret Davies
Dec 1878, Letitia Davies

Not sure why Letitia is not on that FamilySearch transcript, she is the last one on the page on the image, age 2.

Ah! Thanks for tracing this down, at least I can discount this and it saved me a few pounds!

Still can’t find this Rachel Gower in 1861 but think I have found her in 1851

Thomas Gower, 50, Llangeler
Litice Gower, 40, Llandisilo
Sarah Gower, 12, Abergwilly
Margret Gower, 9, Abergwilly
Rachel Gower, 6, Abergwilly

It may also help others as I notice some trees on line incorrectly, have Thomas Davies marrying a Rachel Tucker

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 14 November 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Here are the signatures for comparison.

Nell

In Gower:- notice how he finishes~ WER in Gower  = High leaving the 'W' _ High iwith the 'E' loop and High finish to the 'R' with a downward finish tail. I'd say they are the same signature over them years.

My first name is David and my D loop is the same but changes the size of the loop daily never heed yearly

Attached are some more of his signatures, a couple from the 1880s and one from the 1890s. To me, even allowing for time, there is too much difference in the shaping/looping of the D compared to 1870 for them to be considered the same

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 14 November 21 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I think, sadly, that Rachel Gower married Thomas Davies in Carmarthen in 1866, rather than David Rees, and so probably no name mix up.

Thanks for checking that out - I didn't have time to do it myself, but having spotted the possibility I thought it worth mentioning straight away.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 14 November 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Here are the signatures for comparison.

Nell

In Gower:- notice how he finishes~ WER in Gower  = High leaving the 'W' _ High iwith the 'E' loop and High finish to the 'R' with a downward finish tail. I'd say they are the same signature over them years.

My first name is David and my D loop is the same but changes the size of the loop daily never heed yearly

Attached are some more of his signatures, a couple from the 1880s and one from the 1890s. To me, even allowing for time, there is too much difference in the shaping/looping of the D compared to 1870 for them to be considered the same

Daivd Gower being a curate/vicar, he should have loads of signatures in different church/parish register events at different parishes over years of his vocation to track down his known history or variation in his signature over time and if there was another curate/vicar called David Gower to differentiate the two to compare their signatures and his known history,

???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 19 November 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have got the birth certificate of their daughter Myfanwy Gower back. Myfanwy Gower born 22 Sep 1869, Carnawllon Fach. Father David Gower, Student, mother Rachel Gower formerly Rees. The informant was Jane Rees occupier of Carnawllon Fach (Rachel’s mother). Therefore, at face value, it indicates David and Rachel were married, although there is no record of this marriage.

Myfanwy would have been conceived around Jan 1869 when Rachel would have been 19.

I don’t think this rules out the possibility that the 1870 marriage is them but with fabricated details