Author Topic: Help Please - Need to find where my Grandfather George E Heath is buried!  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Unfindable

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - Need to find where my Grandfather George E Heath is buried!
« Reply #63 on: Monday 15 November 21 18:42 GMT (UK) »
There is Woodgrange Park Cemetery in Forest Gate. Down the road from Stratford.
Registers, dating from 1889, are on FamilySearch, the films are viewable if registered and logged in.
Two registers per film with indexes at the start of each volume.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1161381

City of London Cemetery is nearby. Registers not indexed, but viewable at home
https://col-burialregisters.uk/archive

East London Cemetery in Plaistow. This one is a problem, no online records. I remember from a thread on here a few years ago that someone enquired and got a response from them about a possible burial there.

City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery is on ancestry.
Manor Park Cemetery is on Deceased Online, which has a free index. I think they also now have records for Brookwood Cemetery and Lambeth Cemetery on the site.
Hanwell has been mentioned. I'm not sure if the registers are on ancestry yet, but they were on findmypast. The images will probably have been removed now, along with the other Westminster records, but there should still be an index/transcriptions.

jonw65

Generous of you. Thank you.

The family is genuinely in the dark regarding what happened to Mr Heath. Mr Heath had abandoned his wife some months before his murder, and the wife apparently didn't want anything to do with the whole business, she gathered up the 2 young sons, left the area and prepared to start again.

But there are those 2 sons of Mr Heath, now in their mid-80s, who have a keen need to know, so anything we can do to assist will be very welcome.

We will look at the records you've suggested here, and report back.
Very grateful, D

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 15 November 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone checked to see if Feltham Mortuary still exists - if it does do any records form 1940's survive?

There seems to have been little involvement form George's family - he served in the Army - says he was injured at Dunkirk - wonder if the Army took over his burial arrangements  - possibly buried in an Army grave ??

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 15 November 21 20:48 GMT (UK) »
sorry,  I had posted info in this thread that was meant for a thread on the Australia Board.  I have deleted that contact from this post.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Unfindable

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 15 November 21 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone checked to see if Feltham Mortuary still exists - if it does do any records form 1940's survive?

There seems to have been little involvement form George's family - he served in the Army - says he was injured at Dunkirk - wonder if the Army took over his burial arrangements  - possibly buried in an Army grave ??

zetlander, Hi

As far as we can tell, the Mortuary was at Feltham Cemetery (Ashford Road), the cemetery still exists as of 2021 but the Mortuary is no longer there.

It's believed George's wife didn't take much part in the proceedings, however in 1944 George did still have a large extended family many of whom were local to the areas he frequented, lived and lodged e.g. Battersea, Kennington (south of the river) and Willesden, Bow/Stratford to the north.

He was injured in the face by shrapnel which probably also affected his left eye (I can supply photo).
But there would have been no need for the Army to intervene, he had friends and family to help.

We're currently considering the possibility of a burial location within whatever would have been known as 'Stratford' in 1944, within reach of a family member or friend who could "keep an eye on things", maintain the grave site.

I'm also wondering if any churchyards in the 'Stratford' area still had capability for new burials in 1944, does anybody know?
D

Offline Strobe2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 19 November 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have only just seen all the comments you have left. On behalf of my Dad and me, thank you so much for your thoughts and information, it's really appreciated.

Offline Unfindable

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 19 November 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have only just seen all the comments you have left. On behalf of my Dad and me, thank you so much for your thoughts and information, it's really appreciated.

Hi, you know who I am.
There are lots more comments to me via Private Messaging that you can't see.

You have a great deal of support, and we'll carry on until we get there.
The people on this site are extremely generous, every time.
D x