Author Topic: Help with a note  (Read 195 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with a note
« on: Friday 12 November 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello peeps

The attached image is from a 1908 passenger list from the UK to Canada.  Third from the bottom is George Henry Palmer.  Does it say "To be deported ... " , please?  If not, what?

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a note
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Possibly. If you look at the passenger on Line 14 (Thomas Gregory), it also says "To be deported" followed by a file number.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 21 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but the thing is, I don't think he was deported.  I think he stayed there, joined the Canadian army in 1914 and served through WW1, returning to Canada in 1919 and dying there in 1941.

What a puzzle!

STG

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 21 18:56 GMT (UK) »
The note refers to Annie, (doesnít it?) there is a faint line from the note to her name.  So, did she stay in Canada too?
What does it say about her husband in that other column?

Added.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/Pages/thematic-guides-deportation-1893-1977.aspx
Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 21 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this also applies to Canadian records:

"If your ancestor was detained, you should see the notation S.I. (for special inquiry) or the word admitted or deported stamped next to his name.
If any of these are present, there should be a list of detainees directly after the last page of the shipís manifest. Next, there should be a list of detainees held for special inquiry.
The list should provide details about why the person was detained; how long they were detained; if they were deported and the name of the return ship; and if the person was detained because they were waiting for someone, the name and address of the person they are waiting for should be provided".

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 21 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but the thing is, I don't think he was deported.  I think he stayed there, joined the Canadian army in 1914 and served through WW1, returning to Canada in 1919 and dying there in 1941.

What a puzzle!

STG

If he was 2 in 1908, he would not have been old enough to enlist in 1914, surely.
Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 November 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »

What a puzzle!

STG

If he was 2 in 1908, he would not have been old enough to enlist in 1914, surely.

Doh! That's what happens when the son has the exact same name as the father.  Sorry.  George the father went out in 1907, so his wife and son followed the next year.

Annie stayed in Canada too and died there.