Author Topic: James Tonkin, wife Jemima and 7 children immigrated to Australia  (Read 177 times)

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tonkin, wife Jemima and 7 children immigrated to Australia
« on: Friday 12 November 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find confirmation of the family story that James Tonkin, wife Jemima and 7 children immigrated to Australia on the "Steadfast" arriving in Victoria in Feb 1856. James Tonkin, son of Enoch and Elizabeth, b 1805 Dorset England , died Sep 1865 in Victoria, married Jemima Stephens in Parish Church of Stepney 1848. I haven't been able to find matching voyage for date and Steadfast and am wondering if anyone can clarify date and ship.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Tonkin, wife Jemima and 7 children immigrated to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have a record

Name:   Jennia Tonkin
Arrival Age:   50
Birth Date:   abt 1806
Departure Place:   London
Arrival Date:   23 Feb 1856
Arrival Place:   Geelong, Australia
Ship:   Steadfast

My internet is VERY slow at the moment so am having problems finding rest of family

Cass

rest of family, Anne 24yrs, John 18yrs, Sam 16yrs, Jane 12 Yrs, Fred 10yrs, Mary 6yrs.

found this on VIC records
   https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/3AFE01E4-F96C-11E9-AE98-F70ABC3BAF48?image=219

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 21 04:44 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/154860401 - newspaper mention of the arrival of the Steadfast
PORT PHILLIP HEADS.
Arrivals,
February 21 Steadfast, barque, 534 tons, from London, for Geelong, 3rd Nov,
13 passengers. General cargo. Dalgety

As there were only 13 passengers, and carrying general cargo it would be likely that this advertisement relates to the same voyage.
From The Geelong Advertiser and Intelligencer, Wed 12 Mar 1856
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91863525

DISPENSARY and DRUG WAREHOUSE
(Established AD 1845)
Next the Drapery '(establishment of Messrs
Wiiliamson & Hiles
[Teeth Scaled, Stopped, or Extracted.]
Mr H. J. GOULTER having returned from
England begs to intimate to the inhabitants of ol
Geelong ant the western district that the business
will le conducted as heretofore under his own
immediate superintendence
H. J. G. would observe that he is now landing ex
Steadfast" goods of his own selection, and from
arrangements made with his agent in London for
regular supplies, he will be able to furnish surgeons,
druggists and storekeepers with drugs, chemicals,
patent medicines, druggists' sundries, trusser,
enemas, surgical instruments, perfumery, Ac, dc..
AT WHOLESALE PRICES.

Edit - not your Mr Tonkin at all
Edit again - in light of what you've written below This is probably the eldest son of James and Jemima
TROVE has some further information which is possibly your Mr TONKIN
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/163285952
Mr. J. E. Tonkin.
Mr. Tonkin was born in the West End of London, in 1835. He emigrated to Melbourne in 1854, and visited Ballarat and most of the other gold diggings of Victoria.
In 1856 he started business in Geelong, and in 1860 went to New Zealand with a number of horses as a speculation.
Whilst in New Zealand he visited most of the diggings, and left Hokitiki for Victoria in 1866. He subsequently came to the Bathurst district in 1870, and entered into business as a contractor. He next became proprietor of Tattersall's Hotel in 1877. He was elected alderman of the city of
Bathurst in 1879, and continued in that position for 5 years. He always interested himself with political and other matters wherever he resided.
In 1884 he compiled and published a sporting work, which was acknowledged
to be the best book of reference on all sporting matters ever published in Australia. Mr. Tonkin has been for many years intimately connected with sports of all kinds. For years he has held the position of hon. secretary to the Bathurst Coursing and Turf Clubs. He is a staunch free trader.

there is probably more but I thought you may already have plenty of information.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 21 07:15 GMT (UK) »
My thanks for above info. That is sufficient evidence for me that James and co did immigrate on the Steadfast and arrived in Geelong Feb 1856, although the age of the children listed is a bit different to what i have. Many thanks.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - looking at other information the newspaper clipping is not your Mr Tonkin.

I can only see Jemima and the children on the PROV passenger list for the Steadfast.  Ages are often incorrect on shipping lists.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Re James Tonkin. I agree that he is not listed as a passenger on the Steadfast, nor is the eldest son James Ebenezer Tonkin. Wickipedia has James Ebenezer Tonkin immigrating to Melbourne in 1854 so i wonder if both James Senr and junior immigrated at the same time and the wife and children arrived a couple of years later. However i cant find ship/date details for them. Any clues?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 November 21 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Here's (probably) James E TONKIN's immigration

James Tonkin, English, Age 21, (Birth Date:   abt 1835)
Departed: Liverpool
Arrived: 11 Feb 1856, Melbourne, Australia
Ship:   Mermaid

The ship's record gives his occupation as 'miner'

Judith

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 November 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
The age of 21 for James E on the Mermaid is a good match and we know he was into mining. But what of his father. I had guessed that he might have come at the same time but there is no James of the right age in PROV immigrations.