Author Topic: Dennis Lockwood .. help required please  (Read 997 times)

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Lockwood .. help required please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have all 7 of the various service records for him that are on FindMyPast? Several are undated, and a few are dated 1900. One of them is sadly the Pension record that mentions syphilis and his evaluation at the County Neurological Hospital at St Albans.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 November 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
When Dennis was st home for the birth of his daughter his occupation was caretaker ( crossed out). And commisionaire.  The solicitors was next door, so I believe he was the office commisionaire and caretaker.

When I received his death certificate from Leeds it stated paralysis of insane, aggravated whilst in service. My great uncle ( his nephew). Stated that he had been gassed in the Somme, and also was wounded, that the shellshock, had finished him off.
His wife was very close to the family, so they brought him home to worksop. His grave is next to his parents and grandparents.

I know he served with the 17th and 21st lancers, both in and after the Boar war, but something dreadful happened whilst serving with the cavalry of the machine gun Corp.

Sadly, we often find that the stories told by family (or perhaps told to them by the army) aren't quite right. There may sometimes be reasons for this, such as not wanting to speak ill of the dead, or just history passing down from person to person ending up with details going awry.

His service records do note very briefly that Dennis was gassed in May 1915, a year before the Battle of the Somme. He is posted home the next month and does not see action again. There is no record of his being injured or suffering from shellshock, including in his pension records. All they record are the mental decline resulting from late stage syphilis, referred to general paralysis of the insane.

Offline betton39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 November 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't have the record from st Albans hospital. I have his service records, personal effects, lots of other stuff available off ancestry... And his death certificate .. your help is much appreciated.

Offline betton39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 November 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Does it mention late stage syphilis by actual name. Or soothing else, another researcher as stated something different. I'd really love to know where he fought and what action he saw.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 November 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »
The pension record is on Ancestry - I'll send you a link. It clearly states syphilis as an aggravating factor.

Probably also worth reading this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_paresis_of_the_insane

Unfortunately his other records aren't very helpful in locating where exactly he served

Offline betton39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Mabel.x  covers a multiple of conditions, and understandable. X it must have been terrible. Poor Nora, his wife must have seen the man she married had been lost.  Personality disorders, tremors fits. It can't of been easy. .x

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
What intrigues me is that he was still serving when he was admitted to St Albans - one wonders how on earth he managed given the condition he was in, or why he wasn't picked up sooner

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the St Albans neurological hospital was Hill End Hospital.  After the war, Hill End Hospital received many WW1 casualties, typically suffering from shell shock or gassing.