Author Topic: Where in Devon?  (Read 647 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Devon?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I think it''s Whitster  ~

a person who whitens or bleaches clothes.

Add - source:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/whitster

Add 2 - I read this thread because I lived in Devon for nearly 25 years - and I found you mentioning one of my ancestral places  ;D

The interesting thing is that I have relatives from another tree who all hail from Devon so the original question re Totnes was because I have done a lot of research about that family and the "Feormes", Devon had me stumped. They are an entirely different mystery. Farmers and bootmakers are easier to find than Jamaican cotton brokers of Liverpool thank goodness!
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Devon?
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I think it''s Whitster  ~

a person who whitens or bleaches clothes.

Oh thank you ...again. So this marriage is possible although the cotton industry was huge at this time.

Add - source:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/whitster

Add 2 - I read this thread because I lived in Devon for nearly 25 years - and I found you mentioning one of my ancestral places  ;D

The interesting thing is that I have relatives from another tree who all hail from Devon so the original question re Totnes was because I have done a lot of research about that family and the "Feormes", Devon had me stumped. They are an entirely different mystery. Farmers and bootmakers are easier to find than Jamaican cotton brokers of Liverpool thank goodness!
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee