Author Topic: Where in Devon?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Devon?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 November 21 03:48 GMT (UK) »
You said you are researching William Miller. Was he married before he married Anne?

On the 1861 census there is a 20 year old son, Peter. Who is his mother? Anne?

I just had a quick look on freebmd but couldn’t see a marriage for William Miller and Ann Jacobs (haven’t tried variants). When did they marry?

Is there anything in particular you want to find out about William?

This is what I (think) know about William Miller;

He married Sarah MAYOH on July 4, 1819, in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
They had 3 or 4 children in 10 years;

Alexander Miller 1820–?

Agnes Hannay Miller 1822–?

Agnes Miller 1826–? could be the same as her sister above but Agnes Hannay would have been 13 when she married if that is the case. So I think 2 babies were names Hannah because the 1st might have died.

Peter Mayoh MILLER (Anlaby Station Mgr.) 1831–1908. emigrated 1852 to South Australia

Sarah Miller died in Sep 1849. William married Ann Jacobs before 1851 and moved from a ritzy address in Percy Street into the Grove Street address.
He was a Cotton Broker and owed money all over the place by this time. I know this because his son Peter worked hard in Australia and eventually paid off his father's debts.
He lists himself as a Jamaican British subject - does this mean he was born in Jamaica?
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 November 21 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Here is Grove Street in Liverpool:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.092882320117766&lat=53.40052&lon=-2.96237&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

As you can see there is not much left of the place. So so sad.  :'(

If you take a Google street view walk down Canning Street Liverpool, looking at the size of the houses on the map, (though there is some variation) I am guessing that Grove Street might have looked similar when your family lived there. You get the general feel of it anyway. Very bea-u-tiful!!!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 November 21 04:12 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting family. Yes, William was born in Jamaica.

It might be worth you looking further into that - non PC but they may have links to plantations and slavery. Wild guess, but you never know.  ;) Fits with the cotton trade.

Posh house in Percy Street to posh house in Grove Street it seems. What was the Percy St address?

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 November 21 04:16 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting family. Yes, William was born in Jamaica.

It might be worth you looking further into that - non PC but they may have links to plantations and slavery. Wild guess, but you never know.  ;) Fits with the cotton trade.

Posh house in Percy Street to posh house in Grove Street it seems. What was the Percy St address?

Would you know how I could find BDMs for Jamaica? I am very open to the slavery bit because there is a tiny amount of Benin and Toga in the DNA and this may be where it came from.

15 Percy St but even that is complicated because there is a 15 Back Percy St and there is no15 Percy St but...if you look at 13 Percy St you could surmise that there was once a 15 Percy St and the numbers changed over the years,
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 November 21 05:24 GMT (UK) »
No sorry, I have no idea about Jamaican research, but I’m sure someone will be able to help you. All I know is what I’ve seen on Who Do You Think You Are.  :)

Google would probably be my first port of call …. Maybe Familysearch? Alternatively, you could start a new thread :)

It would be interesting to find out more about the family and see if it fits in with the DNA results.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 November 21 05:37 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look at Percy Street. Very nice!

Where did you find their address as 15 Percy Street? I’m asking because the number 3 and 5 can look similar so it could also be a transcription error. It would be good to see the original if possible, but yes, numbers could well have changed over the years.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 November 21 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if this will lead you anywhere useful:
http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 November 21 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look at Percy Street. Very nice!

Where did you find their address as 15 Percy Street? I’m asking because the number 3 and 5 can look similar so it could also be a transcription error. It would be good to see the original if possible, but yes, numbers could well have changed over the years.

I found the address in a couple of places. I will share the 1841 Census.

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 November 21 06:07 GMT (UK) »
This is William with his dau. Agnes 15 and son Peter 10 as well as 2 servants at 15 Percy Street. Sarah his wife and their son Alexander are not present. I have not found them yet.