Author Topic: Where in Devon?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Devon?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 November 21 06:49 GMT (UK) »
OK, that’s definitely a number 15.  ;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 November 21 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Was Alexander Miller born in Scotland? If so there is a possible match in Woolwich, Kent at the Royal Artillery Barracks.

If he was born in Lancashire, there is a 20 year old Alexander Miller, a clerk, living with a 60 year old Nancy Miller and an 18 year old Ellen Miller in Liverpool.  :-\ Do these names ring a bell as being family members? Nancy could be a nickname for Anne.  :-\

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 November 21 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Was Alexander Miller born in Scotland? If so there is a possible match in Woolwich, Kent at the Royal Artillery Barracks.

If he was born in Lancashire, there is a 20 year old Alexander Miller, a clerk, living with a 60 year old Nancy Miller and an 18 year old Ellen Miller in Liverpool.  :-\ Do these names ring a bell as being family members? Nancy could be a nickname for Anne.  :-\

Alexander (1820), and Agnesx2 (1822 and about 1826) were born in their mother, Sarah Mayoh's hometown of Kelton, Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Peter was born in Liverpool
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 November 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »

Alexander (1820), and Agnesx2 (1822 and about 1826) were born in their mother, Sarah Mayoh's hometown of Kelton, Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Peter was born in Liverpool

Just to mention that Kelton is a parish rather than a town.  Today, the largest settlement in the parish is Castle Douglas.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Kelton

Many of my relatives lived in the area.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »

Just to mention that Kelton is a parish rather than a town.  Today, the largest settlement in the parish is Castle Douglas.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Kelton

Many of my relatives lived in the area.

Thank you Gadget!
I must admit this little Australian is a little flummoxed by Scottish records and geography. They don't seem to be very specific to me. All I have is a birth record for Alexander;

Alexander Miller 
Gender Male  Birth 28 Sep 1820
Place, Kelton, Kirkcudbright, Scotland 
Baptism Place, Kelton, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
Father William Miller 
Mother Sarah Mayoh 
FHL Film Number 1067975 
Reference ID 2:16597KW

So I don't know which town. Do you know if the area had anything to do with the cotton trade with Jamaica?
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
It was mainly a rural parish with Castle Douglas as the main town by 1820.  My  3 x great aunt and her husband had an hotel there at that time. Also, a 3rd cousin was a watch and clock maker. His in laws were blacksmiths there. 

Here's some info about the parish from the Old Statistical Account of Scotland:

Link to a description of the parish of  Kelton in the  the First/Old Statistical Account  of Scotland:

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/osa-vol8-Parish_record_for_Kelton_in_the_county_of_Kirkcudbright_in_volume_8_of_account_1/osa-vol8-p297-parish-kirkcudbright-kelton?search=kelton

(use the side arrows to read through)

Also, a little general information about the Statistical Accounts

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/exhibition/osa

I've got some photos of Castle Douglas which are on my other machine. I'll put some up on here for you if you'd like.

Gadget

Add - the link that I gave on my previous post also gives some information about the area.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
It was mainly a rural parish with Castle Douglas as the main town by 1820.  My  3 x great aunt and her husband had an hotel there at that time. Also, a 3rd cousin was a watch and clock maker. His in laws were blacksmiths there. 

Here's some info about the parish from the Old Statistical Account of Scotland:

Link to a description of the parish of  Kelton in the  the First/Old Statistical Account  of Scotland:

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/osa-vol8-Parish_record_for_Kelton_in_the_county_of_Kirkcudbright_in_volume_8_of_account_1/osa-vol8-p297-parish-kirkcudbright-kelton?search=kelton

(use the side arrows to read through)

Also, a little general information about the Statistical Accounts

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/exhibition/osa

I've got some photos of Castle Douglas which are on my other machine. I'll put some up on here for you if you'd like.

Gadget

Add - the link that I gave on my previous post also gives some information about the area.

This is wonderful information. Thank you!
I just found Peter Mayoh of Castle Douglas taking Apprentices in 1803 and 1804 just stating he was a mercer.

Peter was Sarah Mayoh Miller's father. It seems to me from Sarah's prosperous marriage as well as a sister's that they must have been a prominent family in what is described as a quiet rural place.

I will follow your links with glee!

Thank you

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I should start a new query but I shall include this here since it is the same family and will be guided.

I found another word I can't make out on a marriage record in Leyland, Lancashire, England.

to recap the family;

Peter Mayoh of Castle Douglas (mercer) married Nancy Hannah or Agnis Hannay date unknown.

Peter was the father of

Sarah Mayoh who married William Miller (1795-c. 1852) Jamaican British subject and cotton broker of Liverpool

Sarah and William had a son Alexander, a dau. Agnes and another son Peter Mayoh Miller (1831-1908)

Sarah died in about 1849  and William remarried a widow Ann Jacobs from Devon (maiden name unknown) but ran  up debts before he died in about 1852
William's son, Peter Mayoh Miller, emigrated to Australia and worked hard to save up enough money to pay off his father's debts and raise 10 children on his own as his wife died age 32!

I am attempting to work out Peter Mayoh Miller's ancestry.

So I now have a word I can't make out on a marriage record to see if this is a marriage for Peter Mayo and am hoping you can help me out. Is it Whitsler? and if so what does it mean? see attached.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I think it''s Whitster  ~

a person who whitens or bleaches clothes.

Add - source:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/whitster

Add 2 - I read this thread because I lived in Devon for nearly 25 years - and I found you mentioning one of my ancestral places  ;D