Author Topic: Sarah Farrel b.abt 1786  (Read 588 times)

Offline Kenvic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Farrel b.abt 1786
« on: Monday 15 November 21 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Seeking the maiden name of Sarah Farrell b. abt 1786 m. to Charles Farrell of Ballygaddy, Kings Co. The 1821 census says mother-in-law (of Charles ?) is Catherine Colesworth but this does not appear to be an Irish name.  I have found only one other person by that name in Ireland but many years later and it does not appear on the Irish name lists.  Could it be something like Oldsworth?  Or maybe Catherine is not Sarah's mother.  I think Sarah could be mother of Charles Dillon in the same household.  If a Farrell descendant can throw a light on this it would be much appreciated by hundreds of Dillon descendants.  kenvic

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Farrel b.abt 1786
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Coalsworth is perhaps mother in law to the lodger, James Heirs.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kenvic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Farrel b.abt 1786
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I had considered that but I reason that Charles Farrell would have filled out the census or at least answered for the household.  The problem with 'Heirs' is the spelling.  A relative of Sarah's family Thomas Farrell lived next door at a townland called Marymount and he lists a 'Hines'.  This is also often spelt Hynes and there many other varieties.  There are so many by this name in Ireland that I gave up any hope of tracing them.  We, that is my other family researchers and me, believe that Charles was Sarah's son - nephew being quite well used to cover up out of wedlock births.  Charles was actually two years older than the age on the census so probably a bit of a cover up as Sarah would only have been 15 at conception time.  Charles who is my 3 x g.father has a birth certificate that lists only his father, Thomas Dillon, no mother while all of Thomas' other children have a mother, Jane.  It seems he took responsibility for Charles.  How Thomas came to seduce the young Sarah is speculative but he then obviously married her off to Charles Farrell.  I am sure they lived happily ever after.  I have gone down many avenues over the years only to find dead ends so putting this out there is probably the last chance option.  I really do enjoy chasing down these little mysteries. Cheers. kenvic