Author Topic: One tun Ragged School,5, Westminster Buildings  (Read 727 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One tun Ragged School,5, Westminster Buildings
« on: Monday 15 November 21 13:19 GMT (UK) »
http://jefferyknaggs.com/Instuts.html#0099
Hi. I've found a 1898 burial record for. John William Rogers ,age 4. Address is 5 Westminster Buildings.
It appears that in 1898 this was not only a school , but housing for families as well as a workingman's club of sorts ,which had moved from a former derelict pub, The One Tun on Perkins Rents , to Westminster Buildings on Pye Street, where it became known as The One Tun Mission.
Apparently the area was known as The Devil's slum.

I found the resource above to search the 1901 census for institutions which were enumerated separately from the regular census, but not sure what the Rg number would be.
I'll look at the regular census.
Looking for the surname Rogers.

Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: One tun Ragged School,5, Westminster Buildings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 21 15:30 GMT (UK) »
The RG number is the same for all 1901 entries - the piece number/folio & page number determine the entry

What exactly are you trying to achieve from the 1901 entry? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One tun Ragged School,5, Westminster Buildings
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
The RG number is the same for all 1901 entries - the piece number/folio & page number determine the entry

What exactly are you trying to achieve from the 1901 entry?

Sorry, yes, I understand that now.
I thought I might find the name Rogers on the 1901 census for the One tun mission.
This is the information I've found re the ragged school. It doesn't say what number(s) Westminster buildings
ONE TUN RAGGED SCHOOL 3 Perkin’s Rents (later Westminster Buildiings, Old Pye Street). The early history of the school is not clear, but it seems to have been an offshoot of the Pear Street Ragged School.
In 1853 Adeline Cooper was asked by Lord Shaftesbury to come to its rescue, and after problems with the tenancy she began a new school in two small cottages known as Simon’s Buildings, in Old Pye Street. These premises were also unsuitable and she began a successful campaign to raise money to convert the One Tun public house, a notorious den of thieves in Perkins’ Rents, into a school. The pub was vacant at the time as ‘the last tenant had disappeared without paying the rent, and had carried off everything that could be conveniently removed’. During the alterations nearly a bushel of counterfeit gold and silver coins were discovered behind one of the walls. The One Tun Ragged School opened here in 1858. In 1871 it had accommodation for 95 pupils, and an average attendance of 133.
The lease ran out in 1879 and the school moved into Westminster Buildings, a block of rooms for working-class families with a working men’s club and library, built by Adeline Cooper in 1866 for the families of the children in the Ragged School, many of them costermongers and hawkers. The school remained here in Old Pye Street until it closed in the 1930s.

1851 Census [HO107/1479] Letters to Adeline Cooper about the school, and letters to and from pupils [Acc 2259/1/10b, 14b, 15a, 15b, 29b, 47a, 78b, 84b, 95a, 98b, 99a, 102; Acc 2259/9]

I'm helping a lady find out more about her grandfather ( Charles Ernest RODGERS) ,who they always believed came over from Ireland with one or two brothers and joined the military. No names for these brothers. That was all she knew about him prior to 1913 when he met and married her grandmother Elsie Steward up here in the NE.
  We know his DOB from the 1939 census ( South Yorkshire by then) and I eventually  found a Lambeth workhouse record of his birth. Mother single Sophia  (ROGERS no d)
Then the other workhouse  birth record for John William in 1893, again illegitimate, mother Sophia/ Sophie/ Sophy ( so many variations )
Through a process of elimination , I think she may be Sophie Maud Rogers born 1872 . Father Edward, mother Harriet Glover.
0n the 1891 census it's just Sophie M and her father at home, Harriet having died in 1898  and other siblings gone ( I'm looking to see where they were in 1901)
By 1901 Sophie M was married to George Albert Dobinson and had a child with him and was living in Portsmouth.

I think I have Charles Ernest in the military in Salisbury in 1911, but haven't found him in 1901.
In one of my other posts here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853759.0, a member kindly managed to find this 1901 record

13 Charlotte Street:
Eliza D Brown age 60 born Rainham Essex
Sarah Adams age 40 daughter born Lambeth
Charles E (no surname) age 9 visitor born Lambeth

I haven't found John William in 1901, which is why I thought this 1898 burial may be him.

Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)