Author Topic: SP digital registrations  (Read 349 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SP digital registrations
« on: Monday 15 November 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick question.  Do SP have a 'time limit' on checking on registrations (BMD)?  I ask because I was trying to find a death registration that probably happened between 1990 and, say 2005, but I have to order the actual certificate and can't just use credits to download it.  As there are 5 to choose from and I don't know which one it is - and I'm not even aware of when she actually died - I'm not willing to spend all that money only to find - possibly - that she's not even in there!!  So I am assuming that there's something like a 25-year 'wait' from time of death to being able to see it?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SP digital registrations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Guides - Statutory registers
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-registers

Digital images and certificates

Search results include links to veiw* image or order certificate. The digital images, which are of the original register pages, are restricted as follows for internet research:
  • 100 years for births
  • 75 years for marriages
  • 50 years for deaths
This is in accordance with the National Records of Scotland's policy of protecting the privacy of individuals. Please note our records are indexed on a yearly basis rather than exact dates and images of statutory records are added in January of the following year. For example the image of the birth record of someone born in June 1918 will be added to the website during January 2019.

If you require an official copy of a birth entry less than 100 years old, marriage entry less than 75 years old or death entry less than 50 years, go to certificate search. Further information is provided in certificates and copies.

EDIT: * Added deliberate typo of "view" to workaround some quirky RC parsing of the text
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Cuffie.  I had a very quick glance at the "T&C's" but obviously didn't go far enough.  It seems a bit strange to be that length of time before you can look at a death registration as, in England at least, Last Wills & Testaments are published very quickly.  Is it different in Scotland...or is that just SP rules, I wonder.  I'm guessing if you can't get a cert. without applying for a paper copy, then you can't see a LW&T?
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 21 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Scotland has always had its own General Register Office and a different legal system.

You can order a paper copy of a recent testament - I have done so, but I was at the NRS at the time.

From the National Records of Scotland research guide (https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments )

How to find testaments from 1926 to 1999

To search for the will and/or inventory of someone who died in Scotland between 1926 and 1999 or someone with Scottish connections who died outwith Scotland between 1926 and 1999, you need to know:

the person's name,
    where they lived, and
    when they died.

There is an annual printed or typed index of testaments, the Calendar of Confirmations. From 1901 to 1959 it has been digitised and is available on Virtual Volumes in the NRS search rooms.

For 1926 to 1959 use the reference format CAL/Year/A (for surnames A to L) or CAL/Year/B (for surnames M to Z). For example, to search for someone with the surname 'Smith' in the year 1935, you would use the reference CAL/1935/B.

The Calendar covers all of Scotland and gives details of the deceased, their place and date of death, and details of when and where their testament is recorded. The Mitchell Library, Glasgow, also holds copies of the Calendar of Confirmations volumes up to 1936. From 1960 to 1985 the Calendar of Confirmations takes the form of microfiche cards. These have also been digitised and are digitally available under the reference SC70/20/Year (for instance SC70/20/1972).

There is a computer index from 1985-1999 in our search rooms.  It covers part of 1999 as this was the year that the courts moved to their own database.
 Testaments recorded after 1999

Testaments recorded from 2000 onwards are not held by us. Instead you should contact the Commissary Department, Edinburgh Sheriff Court, 27 Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LB.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
lydiaann, what do you know about the person whose death you are trying to find? If you know her mother's maiden name, this should be recorded on the search results index (if known to the informant).

If married, you can also search for a death including both a woman's maiden name and her married surname which will reduce results, and further when you add an approximate birth year.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Chatters, as always many suggestions coming forward to my query. 

Monica: it's a difficult one.  Yes, I did all that and still got 5 results all saying I had to apply for the certificate because, apparently, I was in a 'time-zone' that wasn't yet open for public view.  Nobody in the family knows exactly when she died...there were no children of the marriage, so no cousins.  I shall keep picking at it occasionally, one day something will drop into the system!  The dates I suggested were between the date we last saw her and others knew of her to when she would have been 100 years of age.  And with a VERY common Scottish name (the first enquiry I made put up 22 options!), at the moment it's almost (but not quite, I am sure!) impossible.

The same constraints apply to application for a Will, Nell, but I will keep that information to hand as there are a couple of other people I am looking for but who may be a little easier to find!

Thank you again.  Take care, everyone.
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee