Author Topic: Mysterious Wife of Charles Dancer  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Lotus Flower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mysterious Wife of Charles Dancer
« on: Tuesday 16 November 21 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the Wife of Charles Dancer.  He was born in 1782 in Old Swinford Worcestershire and died in Wednesbury Staffordshire in 1827.  He had three children Charles  1819-1895, Richard 1821-1830 and Samuel 1824-1824.  All three children were baptised in St Bartholomew Church in Wednesbury and their mothers name is given as Esther.  I have looked everywhere I can think of for a marriage both in Worcestershire and Staffordshire but have been unable to find anything.  I have also checked for a re-marriage for Esther Dancer  I have found nothing.  I have found 2 possible marriages, Clarissa Southall and Sarah Stevenson, but discounted both of these.  Also a marriage in Devon to a Tamzin/Thomasin Elstone where her husband Charles was a soldier in the Worcester Militia, this was 1803 so very unlikely. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Wife of Charles Dancer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

I think there may have been more children to the couple. There's a burial in Wednesbury 19 May 1830 for Helen aged 4 daughter of Charles Dancer. The most likely baptism for this child is in Wednesbury
13 Nov 1825 Elenor daughter of William, labourer, & Esther Dancer.
So, I looked for any other Dancer baptisms in the parish with mother noted as Esther and found
17 Sep 1817 Sarah daughter of Richard, miner, & Esther Dancer. She was buried 10 Feb 1818.

Seems a bit of a coincidence as the parents of Charles were Richard & Sarah.

:-\

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lotus Flower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank You. The Dancer family is proving to be a nightmare to research, they are a small family compared to others I am researching but very difficult.  There are lots of Charles Dancers in Staffordshire and at least 3 men Charles, William and Richard all with the surname Dancer in Wednesbury all married to someone called Esther.  How I wish Census' started before 1841!!!!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Given the lack of Dancer to Esther marriages & no further trace so far of a suitable Esther Dancer, let alone 3, I'd suggest that all 3 are different versions of the same couple.  The child on whose burial is noted daughter of Charles is noted on likely baptism as daughter of William.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lotus Flower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank You.  That is a a very interesting suggestion, one I have not considered before.  I will put together a research tree and see what happens.  I will also check the Parish Records for St Bartholomew as I understand they are available and almost complete.  Will take a while but if it breaks down this long standing and frustrating brick wall it will be worth it.  I will post again if successful.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 21 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Also a marriage in Devon to a Tamzin/Thomasin Elstone where her husband Charles was a soldier in the Worcester Militia, this was 1803 so very unlikely. Any help would be much appreciated.

Charles Dancer bac, private in the Worcestershire militia was married to Tamzin / Thomasin on 13 may 1806 at Exeter All Hallows. The previous year a Charles Dancer (soldier) and Elizabeth Cooms had their Banns read at Exeter St Davids, third reading was 4 Aug 1805. No sign of a marriage.
Was it the same Charles Dancer - same name, occupation and location.? And is he your Charles Dancer who came back to Worcestershire when he left the army and took up with an Esther, but could not marry as he was already married to Tamzin?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 November 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomasin Elstone bapt 05 Nov 1784 d/o Richard and Thomasin at Exeter, St Mary Steps
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Lotus Flower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 November 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the Elstone/Dancer marriage, and have tried to find out if 'my' Charles Dancer was ever in the Worcestershire Militia, but have found nothing.  As the marriage was in 1806 and potentially Charles and Esthers first child was born around 1817/1819 it seems a long time.  I did think that Elstone/Esther could be confused.  I have tried to find out anything regarding Charles and Tomasine/Tamzin after their marriage and have found nothing. I will re-check my research into these two as your theory is plausible.  Thank You

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 November 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
If your Charles was in the army, maybe he went overseas. Tamsin might have died abroad and he married Esther abroad.