Author Topic: Can anyone read this record  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can anyone read this record
« on: Wednesday 17 November 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,  It has been a while delighted to see rootschat is still going strong.  I have a Scottish marriage certificate that I would like some help with.
Can anyone read the information for the Bride and Groom and their parents on record number 197 Hamill.
Thanks C
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Groom Felix Hamill age 24 Warehouse Porter, home address 130 Garngad Hill, Glasgow
Bride Annie Geggan age 21, Cotton Powerloom Weaver, 39 William Street Glasgow

Grooms parents Felix Hammill Iron Puddler , deceased & Bridget Hammill (maiden Surname Canning)
Brides Parents James Geggan , Railway Engine ? (driver?) deceased & Alice geggan (Maiden Surname Duffy)

Added: If you obtained this from Scotlands People you should report that the image is illegible and they normally rescan it and send you an updated copy.

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if the situation has changed since the 15th Oct, I've had this message from Scotland People each time I've reported that the image is illegible.
"Thank you for contacting ScotlandsPeople.

Due to the Covid-19 virus our services are restricted at this time and I’m afraid we will not be able to rescan this image at present. Accordingly, I’m refunding six credits to your ScotlandsPeople account.

I’m sorry I’m unable to help you further on this occasion, but do please keep a note of this and any further legibility queries that you have so in future we will be able to look into them on your behalf
."

Added: If you obtained this from Scotlands People you should report that the image is illegible and they normally rescan it and send you an updated copy.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Falkyrn  this is a great help.  I did get the records from Scottish people.  This was the worst one.  I'll certainly let them know about any other ones that I come across.
Thank you  bikermickau for your information.  I will let them know about this one and see what happens.  Will update with the result.
Regards, CC
O'Farrell (Dublin) & (Westmeath) - Leonard (Dublin) - Duggan (Dublin) - Nolan (Dublin) & (Kildare) - May (Dublin) & (Manchester) - Griffin (Limerick) & (Dublin) - Doody (Dublin)- Doran (Dublin) - Flatherty (Dublin) - Ryan  - Dunne - Malone - Healy -

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
CC, I think Falkryn's suggestions look sound.

This looks to be Annie's birth details over in Ireland www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL3W-DB5X Likely this surname will be a nightmare on spelling variations. I searched for g*g*n!

Is this Felix and Annie after their marriage in 1891:

Felix Hamill 29 carter b. Glasgow
Annie Hamill 26 b. Ireland
Alice Hamill 4 b. Glasgow
James Hamill 11 months

Address: 39 Villiers St, Glasgow/ Dennistoun

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Confirmation of Felix's parents from his birth details on the FS index www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQH-GX8

His family in 1871:

Felix Hamill 45 puddler b. Ireland
Bridget Hamill 35 b. Ireland
Margt Ann Hamill 15 b. Ireland
Edward Hamill 12
Felix Hamill 16 (should read 10/11)
Mary Hamill 7
Eliza Hamill 5
Edward Cumming 77 Lodger b. Ireland

Address: 6 Cobden St, Springburn Lanarkshire

The birth certs for the Hamill children from the 1860s should include date and place of parents' marriage.

Monica

Offline Celticcrafter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Confirmation of Felix's parents from his birth details on the FS index www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQH-GX8

His family in 1871:

Felix Hamill 45 puddler b. Ireland
Bridget Hamill 35 b. Ireland
Margt Ann Hamill 15 b. Ireland
Edward Hamill 12
Felix Hamill 16 (should read 10/11)
Mary Hamill 7
Eliza Hamill 5
Edward Cumming 77 Lodger b. Ireland

Address: 6 Cobden St, Springburn Lanarkshire

The birth certs for the Hamill children from the 1860s should include date and place of parents' marriage.

Monica
Thank you MonicaL you are correct about the surname it is a nightmare.  I have three distinct Spellings so far.  I started off with Geggan and then I found a record with Geoghegan and I happen to have an Aunt with that name so I guessed it had been misspelt so I kept going and then I found one with Geoghan.  Without a doubt all the same family.

Sometimes I think my computer will just refuse to work one day.  The screen will say "I am done researching for the day get back to me tomorrow.   :) :) :).
Regards, Caroline

That's interesting Bridgets maiden name is Canning.  I couldn't find anything under that name maybe because its Cumming.  I'll take a look.  Thanks again. CC

Had a quick look Bridgets name is Canning.   :-\

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Not wanting to add to the mix of surnames... ::)...but, I did see this RC baptism which I thought might be for daughter Margaret Ann Hamill:

Margaret Anne Hamill
Baptism Age: 0
Birth Date: 1854
Baptism Date: 2 Sep 1854
Baptism Place: Antrim, St Patrick's, Belfast city, Ireland
Diocese: Down and Connor
Father: Felix Hamill
Mother: Bridget Connor

The Scottish birth regs do have Bridget as Canning it seems (from the Family Search Index).

Monica

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 November 21 07:21 GMT (UK) »

This looks to be Annie's birth details over in Ireland www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL3W-DB5X Likely this surname will be a nightmare on spelling variations. I searched for g*g*n!

Here's the birth record for Anne Geoghegan in 1864-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03608/2331323.pdf

Born at Laragh in Ballibay (sic) civil parish.   MMN Duffy
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/cremorne/ballybay/ballybay-rural/laragh/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo