Author Topic: help please with TNA > Seamen's Pouches BT372  (Read 439 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help please with TNA > Seamen's Pouches BT372
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 November 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roobarb, Hillhurst, tonepad, middlesbrough and seaweed

Thank you so much for all the marvellous help that you have given me - at least I now know that he did not have a Seaman's Pouch!
But thanks to you, I have got several other links to follow up on, which hopefully will prove rewarding.

Thanks again,

Kit

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kit,

Have you already seen his Mates Certificate #040,391 on Ancestry? That lists 4 of his previous ships. There are 5 pages to the record. You'll need to use the scroll arrows to see it all. But he gives his birthdate as 11 April, 1887, not 1886.

https://www.ancestry.ca/imageviewer/collections/2271/images/31936_1831109333_0078-00979?usePUB=true&_phsrc=BbJ18321&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=628340

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Westoe, (love the name!), - yes, I have got his Second Mates Certificate, but it was good of you to bring it to my attention.
I'm pretty sure that the DOB given is a year out, as I have 3 other pieces of data to confirm it was 1886, but again thanks for that.
Robert was my Grandmother's only surviving brother; even though I never met him, it really upsets me to think what happened to him, and all the other brave souls who gave their lives for our freedom.
I really had hoped that he would have had a Seaman's Pouch, as I really wanted to see if there was a photo of him - I'm not a member of Ancestry at the moment, but I seem to think that there was a Private Member's Tree with one on, resplendent in his uniform, which I'd love to have a copy of.
Thanks you again for taking the trouble,
Kit