Author Topic: Another Uniform identification  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Martinjubb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Uniform identification
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Try this

Offline Martinjubb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
On another forum someone had posted a photograph of a relative returning from India after WW2 and was Royal Signals.

There are a lot of similarities

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 November 21 07:05 GMT (UK) »
The Shirt above is not identical to the original post which has Pleated Pockets on a Tunic.
The original post also has metal Shoulder Titles.
The Cap on the original post is also unusual being a lighter colour on top.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 November 21 02:46 GMT (UK) »
The cap badge is the key, I still think Palestine Police.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline Martinjubb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 November 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the reply's and help.

As I have mentioned the photo was found in a stack of photos belonging to my Grandaunt. It is not her husband or his father so is probably her side.
Her Father fought in WW1 and his full record and medal card survive and we also have photographs of him so we know it was not him as he was ASC in Belgium and France 1914-1919. He died before WW2.
The next option is WW2 and my Grandaunts brother's and brother in law. One was Canadian air force so not him the other was RAF from 1940 and not him.
That leaves my Grandfather "Percival Sidney Jubb 31 MAR 1915". He was a radio operator in India and Burma. That is all we know so far. He never spoke about it, but I remember he was always sat next to his ham radio talking to other people around the world.
My Aunt is going through her  papers to see if we can find anything to help.
I am going to get my father to request his record and see what it reveals.(in a years time by the sound of others applications)
Of course there is always the option of it not being anyone in my family and just a random photo.

Offline Martinjubb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 November 21 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The Shirt above is not identical to the original post which has Pleated Pockets on a Tunic.

Tony
I have been looking at photos on the Royals Signals Archive and the pockets were pleated

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 November 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Would usually date the Postcard format and the studio style in the photo as being WW1 era rather than WW2.

Other Rootchatters may comment on the dating of the photo

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Note that the subject has no medal ribbons which might suggest that the photo was taken at least a few years after WW1 and before mid-WW2.This tends to fit with the observation about the style of the studio background,
The cap doesn't look like the peaked cap worn by interwar other ranks and I can't find any evidence that the Royal Signals had a coloured hat-band in that period.
Even ignoring the apparent Star of David on the studio prop, my immediate reaction was "Police" and, as others have observed, the Palestine Police does seem the most likely.
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Would usually date the Postcard format and the studio style in the photo as being WW1 era rather than WW2.

Other Rootchatters may comment on the dating of the photo

Tony

I believe this to be a WW1 postcard photo taken after 1916 when the white border was introduced for economy of ink.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU