Author Topic: Martha Jane Sanderson Gill (British Home Child)  (Read 430 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Jane Sanderson Gill (British Home Child)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:08 GMT (UK) »
You are so good at finding these entries on FS, Jon  ;)

Wonder were Martha Jnr was in the early 1890s if not mentioned in these docs.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon -

Thank you for your kind help. I had the first two documents you found re: Workhouse entry/School records but I didn't have the third document citing Alfred Gill (Sr.) as a registered voter in 1893.  Being that the school record of the same year states Alfred deserted the family, would it be safe to say he likely left the family in 1893?  In other words, would the voter record be evidence that he was living with the family?

Thanks,

Travis

To confirm that address, Alfred Gill at 57 Carlton Street in the 1893 electoral register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99FL-39BG-9

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I think we can assume he was with the family at some time in 1892, when the electoral register was compiled.
By December his wife and two children are in the workhouse, so somethings up, probably he has already gone. It's a bit of a surprise that young Martha is not in the workhouse with the others. It looks like Monica may have found her in 1901.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:53 GMT (UK) »
No, not Martha. It was Elsie, her sister, I could see in 1911 is Hamsptead Heath.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 November 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Jon -

My suspicion is that as the oldest, Martha (Jr.) was enrolled with the Barnardo's program and that she was boarding in 1901 with the family of John Anns (where Monica found her) as part of her training before departing for Canada. 

Where Martha (Jr.) is between 1893-1901 is another mystery.  I do not have a record of her entering the workhouse with her siblings or Mother as of yet.

Your thoughts?

Travis

I think we can assume he was with the family at some time in 1892, when the electoral register was compiled.
By December his wife and two children are in the workhouse, so somethings up, probably he has already gone. It's a bit of a surprise that young Martha is not in the workhouse with the others. It looks like Monica may have found her in 1901.

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 November 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Monica -

I actually see record of Martha (Jr.) boarding with the family of John Anns in 1901 prior to her departure to Canada.  I assume she may have been receiving some training from Barnardo's before her departure?

https://www.ancestry.ca/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/BRKRG13_1136_1139-0412?pId=1462653

Your thoughts?

As I mentioned to Jon, I currently have no record of her entering the workhouse with the family in 1893.  I wonder if she was staying with her Father (Alfred) or with another family member?  Bit of a mystery.  I have asked Barnardo's for her file and have submitted some forms and the fee, but they are on reduced staff with Covid.  Hoping her file may shed some light on all of this.

Travis

No, not Martha. It was Elsie, her sister, I could see in 1911 is Hamsptead Heath.

Monica

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 November 21 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Monica.
And, sorry, Millie, you posted Martha 1901. My mix up!

There are a number of young children boarding in Hampstead Norris in 1901, have you been able to ascertain whether of them any went to Canada?
Hopefully if you can get records from Barnardo's you will learn when Martha went to them.

Perhaps mum Martha did the seven year thing, she married Mr. Oaks in Sep 1899, so about that length of time since Alfred went missing.

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 November 21 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jon -

Here is the link to the record of where Martha appears to be during the 1901 census.  Can you discern any more info that would point to her place of living being connected to the Barnardo program?

https://www.ancestry.ca/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/BRKRG13_1136_1139-0412?pId=1462653

Also, what's the "seven year thing"?

Thanks,

Travis

Sorry, Monica.
And, sorry, Millie, you posted Martha 1901. My mix up!

There are a number of young children boarding in Hampstead Norris in 1901, have you been able to ascertain whether of them any went to Canada?
Hopefully if you can get records from Barnardo's you will learn when Martha went to them.

Perhaps mum Martha did the seven year thing, she married Mr. Oaks in Sep 1899, so about that length of time since Alfred went missing.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 November 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No I haven't found anything yet to connect Barnardo's to Martha being there in 1901. I am familiar with London poor law unions boarding out children in such places. I don't know if Barnardo's did anything like that. She certainly went to Canada with their party.

Seven year thing here, Guy periodically posts about it.
Topic: 7 years separation
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828578.msg6927088#msg6927088

Stan posted this
From "The Marriage Law of England" James T. Hammick; Secretary of the Registrar General's Office Somerset House; 1873.
"With respect to a person whose husband or wife has been continuously absent for the last seven years, and the fact of whose existence has been unknown to such person during that time, the presumption is that the former consort is no longer living, and that such person is a widower or a widow. As the law allows a person under these circumstances to marry again with impunity, a clergyman would be justified in putting up the banns and celebrating a second marriage.....................At the same time it should always be remembered that a second marriage, while the husband or wife of the first marriage is living is void, and in the event of the return of the absent spouse the ceremony is a mere nullity."