Author Topic: Martha Jane Sanderson Gill (British Home Child)  (Read 1579 times)

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Jane Sanderson Gill (British Home Child)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 November 21 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Jon -

Interesting about the "seven year rule".  I've never been able to find a record of divorce for Martha Sr. and when she re-married a 2nd time to Thomas Oaks in 1899, the certificate of marriage states her as a "widow".

Is that enough to assume Alfred Gill was dead by 1899 or was the meaning of "widow" broadly used to include men who left the family?

Your thoughts?

Travis

PS: Here's Martha Sr.'s marriage certificate to Thomas Oaks:

https://www.ancestry.ca/mediaui-viewer/tree/169301784/person/182196396676/media/36f14b68-9d26-467b-a783-f5ec41e11418

Hi
No I haven't found anything yet to connect Barnardo's to Martha being there in 1901. I am familiar with London poor law unions boarding out children in such places. I don't know if Barnardo's did anything like that. She certainly went to Canada with their party.

Seven year thing here, Guy periodically posts on it.
Topic: 7 years separation
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828578.msg6927088#msg6927088

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 November 21 21:55 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be a death in England for him before that marriage. Possibly Martha may have known something that we don't. Or perhaps she just called herself a widow, not having any idea what had become of Alfred.

Offline travisdoucette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 November 21 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon -

I haven't been able to find anything that resembles a death certificate for Alfred Gill.  Would it be safe to say one must exist somewhere?  On the FamilySearch site someone has his death listed as 1891 and I have reached out to her to see where that date came from.

Cheers,

Travis

There doesn't seem to be a death in England for him before that marriage. Possibly Martha may have known something that we don't. Or perhaps she just called herself a widow, not having any idea what had become of Alfred.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 November 21 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Must be one somewhere in the world. Though perhaps he changed his name? Sometimes if they leave the family home, it can be very difficult to find out what happened to them.
I don't think he could have died in 1891, he must have been alive later than that. Presumed to be somewhere in 1893, but had deserted his wife and children, according to the Pancras record.