Author Topic: Heraldic Stained Glass St Andrews Cheddar  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Heraldic Stained Glass St Andrews Cheddar
« on: Friday 19 November 21 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear all - Have come across  some heraldry in what I think is 15th century glass in St Andrews Cheddar. I am familiar with one part as it is the arms of Pyne (largely a Devon family) Gules, three pine apples or, between a chevron ermine. It is associated though with two I can't identify. One I think would be described as azure, a stag lodged argent. The other looks like Argent, three roundels gules between a chevron sable.  Would be really interesting to identify the other two arms here and see if I can find the branch of the Pyne's who clearly had some part to play in the Cheddar area.  I'll try and attach an image that shows the arms in three parts. The one in centre is unclear , but another [art of the window shows the blue shield and stag more clearly.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heraldic Stained Glass St Andrews Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 21 08:08 GMT (UK) »
From Burke's General Armoury:

"Pyne (Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, a.d. 1702). Gu. a
chev. erm. betw. three pineapples or. Crest—A pine tree
fructed ppr. growing on a mount vert."
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks for that, Sir Richard Pyne used the Devon family arms, he was a member of an Irish Branch a couple of generations before him.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 21 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Closest match I can find for the roundels is:
the  Bol(e)igh family of Lansallos 
near  Fowey  (Argent on  a  chevron sable between three roundels gules three bezants);
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 21 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The practice of impaling 3 sets of arms is called tiercing (apologies if I am repeating something you already know!).

The usual practice is to show the first wife's arms on the dexter side (left) and the second wife's arms on the sinister (right) side.
The man's arms will be in the middle.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Have been thinking ;)

Another reason for tiercing is to show links to a religious body.
The central tierce would then show the arms of the division of the church (as in See).

Examples are: Brasenose College, Lincoln College (Oxford), Corpus Christi College (Oxford).

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 November 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, some food for thought there. Did wonder if there was a connection in terms of a church endowment or similar, as mentioned, the Pyne family principally with manors in Devin but extended to Cornwall and Somerset, just not encountered a link with Cheddar before. I wonder if the Brittania County history might help. Was hoping someone locally had done some research on the windows but no joy as yet.