Author Topic: Who were The NICE brothers, please... London 1880s perhaps  (Read 2094 times)

guest259648

Re: Who were The NICE brothers, please... London 1880s perhaps
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 November 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Dulciebun,
As you say we are a generous community on Rootschat and you, I and others enjoy helping each other in our research.  It is so often a joy.
I really thought I was helping you with my finds and that you would be as pleased as me.
I never intentionally insult anyone and as you know I have been glad to help you in the past with your queries, especially the Irish names and families. 
I did ask if the gentleman was your ancestor, if you recall.
Thank you for your observations here and in your personal message.  I have noted them.
I regret that you think I was rude. That was not my intention.
I hope you find your William Nice. He is difficult to find in the censuses and family records.
Best wishes
Heywood

heywood
Thank you for your words here.
You're a substantial person and a good one.

We're all helpers on here, and we work hard.
As a helper myself, who gives 100s of hours, for free, to other people, I know what it feels like if you think your time has been deliberately wasted - so I would never ever waste another helper's time, or try to trick or deceive, or try to get others to duplicate existing work for some kind of laugh.

Please will you continue to assist, because you're a valued member of this community and an experienced one.

We're wanting to solve an unanswered part of a very serious crime.
It is very important to this unsolved matter, to know if a person is using 2 different identities.

I didn't know if Mr Nice was also Mr Heath, how could I.  Like you, I'd seen some strange things in the censuses, and I'd come to some personal (but maybe incorrect) conclusions - and so I put it to RootsChat because there is always so much help on here.

We need to establish if the 'official' surname is NICE or is HEATH. This is what's important.

Can we have a go, please. It's very important to the case, and to the person who's asking.

Thank you.
D

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 November 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dulciebun.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 November 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
May I butt in.   On another thread recently I suggested that dulciebun could contact the original poster via PM.  It was about a man murdered in Britain in last century.   His son was a young boy and is now elderly.  The OP is that elderly chap's son. 

It has always been my understanding that one of the key features of RChat is that we avoid duplicating information, and that we provide live links to threads that are associated with a search.   On the other hand, we do not name the living or those we suspect may still be living. 

I may well have mis-understood the opening post on this current thread, but my reading of it provided me with NO reason to wonder if there was any connection to any other thread at RChat.   Instead, I thought ... ohhhh  Dulciebun must have solved everything in the search for Steve's Dad... they must have found the grave and  in that thread Dulciebun mentioned something about that they were a trusted RChatter.   

We give our time and knowledge and experiences freely, without anticipating reward.  We don't deserve to be giving our time to duplicate information that a trusted RChatter deliberately chooses to keep back. 

Simply put,  the Opening Post could have asked for help to validate or contradict  the theory that NICE and HEATH may be the same man/close relative.

Sadly RChatters were  not trusted with that detail.

JM.  One finger typiste on my e reader,  my apologies for spelling typos, and inability to post live links. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

guest259648

« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
May I butt in.   On another thread recently I suggested that dulciebun could contact the original poster via PM.  It was about a man murdered in Britain in last century.   His son was a young boy and is now elderly.  The OP is that elderly chap's son. 

It has always been my understanding that one of the key features of RChat is that we avoid duplicating information, and that we provide live links to threads that are associated with a search.   On the other hand, we do not name the living or those we suspect may still be living. 

I may well have mis-understood the opening post on this current thread, but my reading of it provided me with NO reason to wonder if there was any connection to any other thread at RChat.   Instead, I thought ... ohhhh  Dulciebun must have solved everything in the search for Steve's Dad... they must have found the grave and  in that thread Dulciebun mentioned something about that they were a trusted RChatter.   

We give our time and knowledge and experiences freely, without anticipating reward.  We don't deserve to be giving our time to duplicate information that a trusted RChatter deliberately chooses to keep back. 

Simply put,  the Opening Post could have asked for help to validate or contradict  the theory that NICE and HEATH may be the same man/close relative.

JM.  One finger typiste on my e reader,  my apologies for spelling typos, and inability to post live links.

majm
Feel free to make whatever adverse comments/criticisms you choose, it isn't helpful.

I've solved nothing this week. The matter from the thread you mention isn't solved, and I am still working with the family (and many other people) on this - please ask them - would you like their contact details?

I investigate many cases, I also supply information to Police when it's appropriate.
I'm a super-recogniser which is an innate skill used in Law Enforcement.
I'm a professional person and a lifelong University researcher with very fine credentials.

To address your comments: whatever the investigation, I think it's only appropriate to make a 'link' to something else if you are certain a definitive link exists or could tolerably exist. People are very quick to rush to conclusions, usually wrong ones, and certainly THAT is a great waste of time.

I don't work with fuzzy details or haphazard guesses. I take very good care.

I have not named any living person.

I always do my best to adhere to websites' guidelines and I don't seek to break the rules.
I'm also always very polite and careful, it's the only way to be.

Butt in if you like, and defend your friends if you choose (it's only natural); I'll always respond; but making assumptions without knowing facts is always a dangerous thing to do, IMHO.

D

guest259648

« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »
majm

To make things crystal clear, the person enquiring about the musician is NOT the same individual who enquired about a missing burial record. Ask them, why don't you?

Please listen, and please leave well alone.

D

guest259648

« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:26 GMT (UK) »
majm

To make things even clearer - and speaking generally - when we investigate one thing, other things may surface in the course of an investigation which have NO CONNECTION whatsoever, NO LINK at all with the original enquiry.

But they can still relate to serious crime and need to be addressed.

Please listen.
And instead of criticising (and wasting everyone's time), please help.

D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:31 GMT (UK) »

majm
Feel free to make whatever adverse comments/criticisms you choose, it isn't helpful.

I've solved nothing this week. The matter from the thread you mention isn't solved, and I am still working with the family (and many other people) on this - please ask them - would you like their contact details?

I investigate many cases, I also supply information to Police when it's appropriate.
I'm a super-recogniser which is an innate skill used in Law Enforcement.
I'm a professional person and a lifelong University researcher with very fine credentials.

To address your comments: whatever the investigation, I think it's only appropriate to make a 'link' to something else if you are certain a definitive link exists or could tolerably exist. People are very quick to rush to conclusions, usually wrong ones, and certainly THAT is a great waste of time.

I don't work with fuzzy details or haphazard guesses. I take very good care.

I have not named any living person.

I always do my best to adhere to websites' guidelines and I don't seek to break the rules.
I'm also always very polite and careful, it's the only way to be.

Butt in if you like, and defend your friends if you choose (it's only natural); I'll always respond; but making assumptions without knowing facts is always a dangerous thing to do, IMHO.

D

And
majm

To make things crystal clear, the person enquiring about the musician is NOT the same individual who enquired about a missing burial record. Ask them, why don't you?

Please listen, and please leave well alone.

D

Please do not presume that I am friends with any person posting on this thread.  I have not knowingly ever met any RChatter.  I am in NSW, Australia..  i too have University qualifications, mine are focused on Applied History - particularly Criminal Justice in NSW from 1787 to 1985. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
majm

To make things even clearer - and speaking generally - when we investigate one thing, other things may surface in the course of an investigation which have NO CONNECTION whatsoever, NO LINK at all with the original enquiry.

But they can still relate to serious crime and need to be addressed.

Please listen.
And instead of criticising (and wasting everyone's time), please help.

D

::)

guest259648

« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 November 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
majm
I respect your qualifications, because I know how hard it is to earn them.

However you accused me of deliberately withholding information, or not making a link to another thread, thus breaking RootsChat rules.

There is no link to be made with another thread.
There is nothing to be gained from alerting researchers to the enquiry about the burial record. No connection at all that I can see at the moment.

Therefore I break no rules.
And I dislike being criticised or reprimanded for something I clearly have not done.
I can't speak for you, of course, but I think you would feel the same?

D