Author Topic: Parents of Murdoch McLeod (1795-1869) and Ann McLeod (1800-1871) Tarbat  (Read 577 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Murdoch McLeod (1795-1869) and Ann McLeod (1800-1871) Tarbat
« on: Friday 19 November 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had any further info on Angus McLeod crofter and Henrietta McLeod ms. McLean and Angus McLeod crofter and ? McLeod ms. McLeod (see attachment).  I suspect they are from Lochbroom or Assynt but was unable to find them in 1841 census. 

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Murdoch McLeod (1795-1869) and Ann McLeod (1800-1871) Tarbat
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 21 03:13 GMT (UK) »
She could be but I thought Uig was on the Isle of Lewis.  These people are in Easter Ross and although I have evidence of folks coming from Assynt, Coigach, other parts of Sutherland, Inverness, and Caithness, I haven't seen that.  Thanks for looking.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Murdoch McLeod (1795-1869) and Ann McLeod (1800-1871) Tarbat
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »
She could be but I thought Uig was on the Isle of Lewis. 
It is, but it's not the only Uig in Scotland. The most obvious other one is Uig on the Isle of Skye, but there are others in Argyll and Moray, and Glen Uigs in Angus and in Ardnamurchan.

Also, of course, the Uig in the Isle of Lewis is in the county of Ross and Cromarty.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.