Author Topic: Help searching for French wives  (Read 2046 times)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help searching for French wives
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 November 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Généabank, I have found reference to a marriage of Anthoine RABATTE of Fieulaine at Montigny-en-Arrouaise on 28 February 1691.  He is the son of another Anthoine and Marie BRAUSSAR? (the transcriber's question mark).  Unfortunately, there don't appear to be others of the name in the early Fieulaine registers as you found.

Interesting… Geneanet has Anthoine Rabatté marrying Marie Prévost on 28 February 1691 in Montigny-en-Arrouaise, Aisne.  Prévost is a family name and from the St Quentin / Haucourt / Malincourt area. They were Huguenots though. Maybe we're distantly related!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Can you give he names of the husbands of the 3 women, and the parishes where they married (several churches in Montreuil sur mer)?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Généabank, I have found reference to a marriage of Anthoine RABATTE of Fieulaine at Montigny-en-Arrouaise on 28 February 1691.  He is the son of another Anthoine and Marie BRAUSSAR? (the transcriber's question mark).  Unfortunately, there don't appear to be others of the name in the early Fieulaine registers as you found.

Interesting… Geneanet has Anthoine Rabatté marrying Marie Prévost on 28 February 1691 in Montigny-en-Arrouaise, Aisne.  Prévost is a family name and from the St Quentin / Haucourt / Malincourt area. They were Huguenots though. Maybe we're distantly related!

I don't think it's Prevost manukarik.
I've seen the entry, and I can understand why it's been transcribed as different things by different people.
From the entries in the Fieulaine registers where she is also mentioned, it looks more like Hansar or Hausar.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm no expert on military records, but I agree he left the army in 1713. I don't know if he returned to the Invalides in Paris - it sounds as if he might have done, but then went to Montreuil. I do know that "au détachement" means that he was an out-pensioner of the Invalides just like a lot of Chelsea Pensioners in the UK.  There might be a little more information in the military archives in Vincennes, though I know there isn't a lot on ordinary soldiers.

"Beauregard" would be his nom de guerre (dictionary translation of "nom de guerre"!), but why he chose it I don't know. Anyway it seems to be tying things together, so I'm glad it's of help.

Thanks for all this jayaygee.
Why did they use a 'nom de guerre'? In case they were caught by the enemy?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I went back to the very  beginning of the film for Fieulaine. The registers start in 1669, but there are quite a few gaps and pages missing, and the 17th Century handwriting is not easy to make out in some places.

Over the next few years. Antoine Rabate appears a few times. Sometimes the name is spelt Rabaté, and sometimes Rebouté. The same name for his wife is mentioned, so it would seem the name was spelt differently depending on who was compling the register each time. Infact there seems to be two Antoines at one point, both baptising children on the same year(different wives). Not unusual where the elder one is having the last of his children, and the younger one just starting his family.

There also appears Jean Rebouté a couple of times.
A son of his, Quentin,  was married in 1677.
There is no baptism for Quentin - he, and the Jean Rabaté, father of Marie Marguerite who married Claude Berolle, would have been born before the start of this register.
This Jean Rebouté, the father, was buried in 1684.

Besides Antoine and Jean, there is this another one who crops up a few times.
Is it Adrien?

I’ve attached a couple of clips.
Firstly , the marriage of Quentin in 1677. Can anybody make out the name of his wife - ‘Barbe du Bois(?), Jean’s occupation, and the name of his wife Marguerite ? ? .
Adrien is also mentioned here as the godfather - does it say ‘son frere’? If it is, whose brother?

And secondly, the burial of Francois Rebouté in 1669, son of Adrien(?) Occupation?

Even if there is no evidence to say which of these was  the father of Jean Rabaté the soldier who died in 1731 at Montreuil, the family were certainly grounded there in the middle of the 1600s.

There will be more clips to decipher if you can bear with me!
Many thanks indeed

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
26 January Marriage Quentin Rebouté  : "tisserand"= weaver, 21 , son of Jean and Marguerite ? (need to decipher this)
and Barbe Du Bois ,38 . Were present Jean Rebouté  (groom's father) and Adrien rebouté ( grooms's brother), day laborer, Michel Dumont cousin of the bride and Jacques ?

Second photo:
burial of François Rebouté son of Adrien and marie Guiton, or Quiton? his wife.

https://gw.geneanet.org/lilianevilain?lang=fr&p=jean&n=reboute

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 16:36 GMT (UK) »
First clip
I took joger's transcription as a start, and tried to fill in the missing words.
26 January Marriage
between Quentin Rebouté, weaver, 21 , son of Jean, tailor, and Marguerite du Chemin?
and Barbe Du Bois, widow, 38 .
Were present Jean Rebouté (groom's father) and Adrien Rebouté ( groom's brother), day laborer, Michel Dumont (cousin of the bride) and Jacque Gorriet?, clerk,